E Bikes on Colorado foot trails?

chasewild

WKR
The Secretarial order has already been implemented in many department of interior lands. You would need to provide a link to back up the notion that there is a legal impediment to the Secretarial order.

Side note, a trail that is limited to mechanical travel would mean motorcycles are allowed. There is no such thing as a non-mechanical motorcycle or ebike.

This is an example of a trail that is open to MECHANICAL bikes, but not MOTORIZED bikes. These trails are all very common and its very clear what is allowed and what is not. I would get a ticket if I used your advice and piss a lot of people off that I run into.

1585319776613.png

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
You were implying that the Secretarial Order was being held up in court, that is or isn't the case? Non-throttle, low-power EBikes are allowed wherever regular bikes are allowed in national parks, lands governed by Fish And Wildlife, and the Bureau of Reclamation all of which fall under Secretary Bernhardt's order. The BLM hasn't been as quick to direct the order yet, but I don't see how a lawsuit could be holding them up, especially when the lawsuit was directed at the National Parks and they are clearly greenlighting ebikes.

The term mechanical is typically referring to motorized devices
ADJECTIVE
A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity.
...a small mechanical device that taps out the numbers.
This is the oldest working mechanical clock in the world.
Synonyms: automatic, automated, mechanized, power-driven
So referring to bikes as mechanical is an attempt by someone to associate them with nonhuman power.
Not trying to be confrontational here - just trying to share information as I know it for the BLM public lands. Have been working in roads and trails arena for 40+ years so I feel somewhat qualified to share what I know regarding travel management and how it is implemented on the BLM and USFS lands. Probably safe to say that the BLM will not be implementing the order as long as it is being contested or in court. I can see how the National Park Service is managing them but violating FACA is pretty serious business and we'll all just have to wait and see what happens across the Department of Interior.

I do know what mechanical means, I was referring to it in terms of how it is applied to travel management-duh! I think that you may have missed the point of the whole post. The author of the article in Backcountry Journal has taken the time to check out the current situation and he is an E-bike user and avid hunter (as am I). I know how it is being currently handled by the BLM as I work every day in that arena. By the way, applying the term 'mechanized' to bicycle and cart use has been around for decades - it is used all the time in Wilderness Area management - that law has been around since 1964. I'm not anti-E-bike-just trying to help answer a question and point out an article that explains what has been going on. As I noted n the previous post, the best action is to check with local land management agency recreation staff. I believe that the OP checked with local USFS staff - smart move!

A quick Google search shows that the BLM isn't shying away from the Secretarial order.
This is an example of a trail that is open to MECHANICAL bikes, but not MOTORIZED bikes. These trails are all very common and its very clear what is allowed and what is not. I would get a ticket if I used your advice and piss a lot of people off that I run into.

View attachment 165011
[/QUOTE What you can to better understand my explanation is read up on the designations that are behind the NEPA decision that led to the signing (which is implementation of the decision) in this photo and check out actual travel management definitions in the Travel Management Manuals and Handbooks (i.e., educate yourself about the actual designations which I was referring to). You seem to be going down a rabbit trail (no pun intended). Apparently, as indicated in your Google Search, some State BLM Offices are leaving it up to local Field Office discretion regarding the SO implementation. As I noted earlier the best thing to do is check with the local office. Don't assume that the SO is being implemented the same everywhere. This could all change with a Judge's order. Case in point the 2019 Proposed Greater Sage Grouse Plan Amendment (ARMPA) that would have replaced the 2015 Amendment mandating management for Greater Sage Grouse in many Rocky Mountain States on public lands. It has been contested in court as well and the agencies are now back to using the 2015 ARMPA.

A quick Google search shows that the BLM isn't shying away from the Secretarial order.
They are in some states and you should note the wording included in the website post requiring a written decision by the BLM Manager authorizing their use. Did you check in to that to see if they are authorized?The post also suggests contacting the office for more information (as I have noted).

Non-motorized trails
Contact your local BLM office for more information.

E-bikes are allowed on trails limited to bicycles and non-motorized travel ONLY IF a BLM Manager has issued a written decision authorizing e-bike use in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.

You were implying that the Secretarial Order was being held up in court, that is or isn't the case? Non-throttle, low-power EBikes are allowed wherever regular bikes are allowed in national parks, lands governed by Fish And Wildlife, and the Bureau of Reclamation all of which fall under Secretary Bernhardt's order. The BLM hasn't been as quick to direct the order yet, but I don't see how a lawsuit could be holding them up, especially when the lawsuit was directed at the National Parks and they are clearly greenlighting ebikes.

The term mechanical is typically referring to motorized devices
ADJECTIVE
A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity.
...a small mechanical device that taps out the numbers.
This is the oldest working mechanical clock in the world.
Synonyms: automatic, automated, mechanized, power-driven
So referring to bikes as mechanical is an attempt by someone to associate them with nonhuman power.

I think we can all agree you need to change your screen name to Ebikerulebreaker.

ebikecrash.jpg

That sign doesn't use the word mechanical, but feel free to call things whatever you like. The term mechanical is the same as motorized effectively, so if people get confused you now know why. I use the term motorized and non-motorized as that is better understood because bikes are non-mechanical in the typical usage of the word.

That sign doesn't use the word mechanical, but feel free to call things whatever you like. The term mechanical is the same as motorized effectively, so if people get confused you now know why. I use the term motorized and non-motorized as that is better understood because bikes are non-mechanical in the typical usage of the word.

I have yet to see a sign that says open to mechanical anything at a trail head. They use the term motorized for a reason. There is a difference between the two words.

You guys can argue with the dictionary all you want, but I just thought you might want a heads up; motorized, mechanized, mechanical, automatic, etc are all used interchangeably and implying they don't makes people familiar with the English language confused.

You guys can argue with the dictionary all you want, but I just thought you might want a heads up; motorized, mechanized, mechanical, automatic, etc are all used interchangeably and implying they don't makes people familiar with the English language confused.

You are arguing semantics. Find me a trail use map that uses the term mechanical instead of motorized. Find me a land management agency that uses mechanical over motorized for their trail use rules. They don't because the term mechanical cannot be used to exclude a motorized vs non motorized vehicle, hence they are not as interchangeable as you say.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I'll try one last time...........Wilderness areas are restricted to non-motorized and "non-mechanical" modes of travel. That means that mountain bikes and wheeled game carts cannot be used in designated Wilderness Areas. So........mechanical is not the same as motorized in travel management terminology. You may not see it on a sign but you can sure find it in the regulations if you are so inclined to look.

I'll try one last time...........Wilderness areas are restricted to non-motorized and "non-mechanical" modes of travel. That means that mountain bikes and wheeled game carts cannot be used in designated Wilderness Areas. So........mechanical is not the same as motorized in travel management terminology. You may not see it on a sign but you can sure find it in the regulations if you are so inclined to look.

No, wilderness areas exclude the use of "mechanized" devices oil f all types.

Phaseolus

WKR
In Colorado the Governing entity, USFS or BLM can decide if Ebikes can be ridden on trails where bicycle traffic i allowed. In most instances ebikes are not allowed.

You are arguing semantics. Find me a trail use map that uses the term mechanical instead of motorized. Find me a land management agency that uses mechanical over motorized for their trail use rules. They don't because the term mechanical cannot be used to exclude a motorized vs non motorized vehicle, hence they are not as interchangeable as you say.
It's not me saying it, it's the dictionary.

No doubt there are a lot of people, even Federal agencies, who don't understand the definition of mechanical and mechanized, I just thought you might want to a person who does understand the definition so you can communicate with those who do know the meaning and usage of those words. Saying a trail is "limited to mechanical" would mean that all modes of travel up to and including automobiles are allowed because even walking is mechanical if you are stretching the definition to include nonmotorized movement.

In Colorado the Governing entity, USFS or BLM can decide if Ebikes can be ridden on trails where bicycle traffic i allowed. In most instances ebikes are not allowed.
The USFS does not have the authority yet to allow ebikes on trails closed to motorized usages, that change is happening though. The BLM has the secretarial order which expects them to treat ebikes as regular bicycles at some point in time. The only Colorado BLM trail system that openly allows them on nonmotorized is by Steamboat.

When the secretarial order came out, Bernhardt quoted the CPSC law passed by Congress in 2002 as his motivating factor. When there is multiple federal definitions of ebike, the laws that are contradictory become voided in the eyes of the court.

Phaseolus

WKR
Yep, we discussed this at length at the last COPMOBA meeting in Grand Junction. Ebikes are starting to ride, illegally, a lot of the trails in the Grand Valley. The two BLM representatives at that meeting cleared up the ‘fog’ by stating they ‘ebikes’ are not allowed on non motorized trails in our district.

brsnow

WKR
Yep, we discussed this at length at the last COPMOBA meeting in Grand Junction. Ebikes are starting to ride, illegally, a lot of the trails in the Grand Valley. The two BLM representatives at that meeting cleared up the ‘fog’ by stating they ‘ebikes’ are not allowed on non motorized trails in our district.
Zero respect for the rules across the front range, no etiquette and can’t seem to at least stay on the trail. Hopefully it continues and the trails don’t open to motorized bikes and the illegals are ticketed.

That BLM agency is the one acting illegally depending on how rigidly you view the Secretarial Order. The Secretarial Order gave a specific time frame for interior land managers to treat ebikes like regular bikes (except for certain exemptions) and they are now outside of that time frame. Unless the BLM agency has petitioned to have ebikes banned from certain trails, then the agency could be sued for continuing to blanket ban ebikes outside of the secretarial order parameters. Over 400 interior department agencies have moved to treat ebikes with the CPSC guidelines, the agencies that remain undetermined need to announce how they justify ignoring a direct order, or face potential legal consequences.

Fatcamp

WKR
That BLM agency is the one acting illegally depending on how rigidly you view the Secretarial Order. The Secretarial Order gave a specific time frame for interior land managers to treat ebikes like regular bikes (except for certain exemptions) and they are now outside of that time frame. Unless the BLM agency has petitioned to have ebikes banned from certain trails, then the agency could be sued for continuing to blanket ban ebikes outside of the secretarial order parameters. Over 400 interior department agencies have moved to treat ebikes with the CPSC guidelines, the agencies that remain undetermined need to announce how they justify ignoring a direct order, or face potential legal consequences.

Do you work for a manufacturer of ebikes?