E Bikes on Colorado foot trails?

Phaseolus

WKR
Mountain bikes are not banned in the original Wilderness mandate, although the Sierra Club and Wilderness Society tried hard to get them banned back then. The ban on bikes was tacked on in the 80's when the original signers of the Wilderness Act were no longer around to cry foul. The orwellian association of bikes with mechanized and mechanical is how the Sierra Club and Wilderness Society are covering their tracks to make it seem like banning bikes was always part of the Wilderness Act.
I’m a hardcore mountain biker and don’t want bikes of any kind in wilderness, let’s keep it that way. It’s not like there is a shortage of places that a bike, an Ebike, or a gasoline powered mechanical devise can go out here in the west. I’m guessing Mr. Ebikeruler missed out on the idea of what a wilderness area is all about. Yup, he missed it.

Why does my blood pressure rise so much with this discussion? Ebikes are like drones to me, not a single place from them in the back woods. I followed a fatass once in ID who was on an ebike blazzing his own trail in the timber for miles. Cant really say what happened when I found him. Who do you work for Ebikerules?

If anyone knows of a group advocating against ebike use on non motorized trails let me know so I can send them all my money.
Happily unemployed, thanks for asking! If you want to reign in eBike access, you need to get Congress to undo the 2002 decision to equate low-power ebikes with regular bikes, good luck in your endeavors!

Fatcamp

WKR
What part do you think I missed? The part of the Secretarial order relevant to the BLM is this:
v) Instruct the Director, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to develop a
proposed rule to revise 43 CFR § 8340.0-5 and any associated regulations to be consistent with
this Order, add a definition for e-bikes consistent with 15 U.S.C. § 2085, and expressly exempt all e-bikes as defined in Sec. 4a from the definition of off-road vehicles or motorized vehicles;

The BLM interim policy says this about exemptions:
In the event that a District or Field Manager is considering denying the use of low-speed electric bicycles in a specific location, a written explanation must be submitted to and approved by the State Director.

I'll take that as a yes.

I’m a hardcore mountain biker and don’t want bikes of any kind in wilderness, let’s keep it that way. It’s not like there is a shortage of places that a bike, an Ebike, or a gasoline powered mechanical devise can go out here in the west. I’m guessing Mr. Ebikeruler missed out on the idea of what a wilderness area is all about. Yup, he missed it.
What about the unconfined recreation part? I haven't really advocated for bikes in Wilderness, just pointing out that the Wilderness Act was originally enacted with the specific intent of allowing bikes.

I actually thought about getting an ebike someday. That is until I have seen this ebikerules guy go on and on defending how they should be allowed everywhere. Seems like he just signed up to tell everyone how great they are. Not worth the risk becoming that guy.
Yes, I also hike, hunt, and ski, so please give up those activities too. The fewer people using the trails, the better. It's not worth becoming me people, so stay at home and post online, wait a second, I do that too.

brsnow

WKR
Happily unemployed, thanks for asking! If you want to reign in eBike access, you need to get Congress to undo the 2002 decision to equate low-power ebikes with regular bikes, good luck in your endeavors!

It is the Wild West, who needs legislation. Just takes initiative and persistence.

For future readers of this thread, there is a global pandemic going on currently. The number of unemployed reached a historic level (and I am understating the problem) this week because businesses are shuttered and people are being told to stay at home. Chastising those who are unemployed during a time when the government is telling people not to leave the house, is reflective of the types of people contrasting me in this discussion.

brsnow

WKR
For future readers of this thread, there is a global pandemic going on currently. The number of unemployed reached a historic level (and I am understating the problem) this week because businesses are shuttered and people are being told to stay at home. Chastising those who are unemployed during a time when the government is telling people not to leave the house, is reflective of the types of people contrasting me in this discussion.

your victim mentality was predictable.

your victim mentality was predictable.
LoL I love being unemployed! This is awesome! I am grateful for a break from what would otherwise be a rigorous work schedule and thankful that I am not exposing others or myself to a virus as I enjoy working with the general public. I am sorry you see the world through turd colored lenses.

brsnow

WKR
LoL I love being unemployed! This is awesome! I am grateful for a break from what would otherwise be a rigorous work schedule and thankful that I am not exposing others or myself to a virus as I enjoy working with the general public. I am sorry you see the world through turd colored lenses.

My wife is currently treating patients and I spend my days working with my clients helping them navigate their wealth and financial well-being during these unprecedented times. When people are in need , my family we look to help, not take a break. I am proud of the hard work and contributions we make.

My wife is currently treating patients and I spend my days working with my clients helping them navigate their wealth and financial well-being during these unprecedented times. When people are in need , my family we look to help, not take a break. I am proud of the hard work and contributions we make.
Good for you, I too am helping others, just not being paid for it. I have lots of money, so I am not looking to profit from a pandemic.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
As of right now, the Order is being implemented in over 400 agencies in the department of interior and all of the national park systems. The lawsuit is geared towards national park systems so one would logically assume that they would be the first to revoke the allowance of eBikes on nonmotorized trails. The BLM still has all of the info regarding following the Order on their website, none of which is referencing a lawsuit holding things up. The agencies who are continuing the blanket ban on eBikes are violating the order that forces them to treat eBikes as regular bikes.

As of right now, you are the only source of info that the Secretarial order is being held up by the lawsuit that was directed at the national parks. So far, all those agencies are greenlighting ebikes. If the lawsuit had teeth, those agencies would have pulled all info suggesting eBikes are equated with regular bikes months ago. You might be absolutely correct in your assessment that the order is being held or rescinded by the lawsuit, but all indicators point otherwise, and you are the only person on the internet who has said that is the case, which makes me skeptical. Unless you are a spokesperson for the BLM, or quoting them directly, I would hold off on assumptions being passed on as fact.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Did you read the article in Backcountry Journal? Have you read other responses in here? Have you read my advice to folks about checking with local offices? How long have you worked in travel management? I've been involved in it for over 40 years and have been a manager in the USFS and the BLM. I still have plenty of contacts so I feel pretty qualified offering advice such checking with local offices. I also am an environmental writer so I know the NEPA pretty well, as well as the regulations, case law, etc. I have participated in many, many public meetings regarding travel management. Curious, just are your qualifications? You sure seem to like to criticize everyone who doesn't agree with you. I signed up on the forum to help folks out and one area that I feel fairly qualified in is travel management. Sorry I provided advice to the OP that you didn't like.