E Bikes, the new motorized access scourge?

CorbLand

WKR
Realistically, you would never rent just one, they never go out on their own. And what kind of horse is someone that's never ridden a horse before going to get? The crazy kind? If what you say is true, yes I guess it could be afforded but good luck with that adventure!

The only reason I'm pointing all this out is you keep comparing e-bikes to stock. And I am saying, in my opinion, no, it's not the same. There's a reason everyone's not doing it, it's hard. And the OP's point is eBikes aren't hard.

I've used mountain bikes, side by sides, and horses to hunt all where legal. I would have no problem riding an e-bike where legal too but wouldn't argue that it's a bicycle and can be ridden on a non-motorized trail.
This the part that makes me question that too. Way more people know how to ride a bike than how to ride a horse. I have been on horse a handful of times in my life and shit bricks every time I get on them. I can ride a bike though.

Like horses, I dont need the bike to hunt off of, I need it to get me back places, I can hoof it from there. I can think of a couple places here that if I could take an ebike would cut off 6 miles one way of hiking. I could ride it in, set up camp and hike from there.

rodney482

WKR
Ran into a kid from Rock Springs on a Quietkat in one of my fav elk units. He said it took him 12 min to get where it took me an hour to hike. Nice kid but im confident he was not legal. He did put us on a deer my buddy later killed.

DF42C1AB-01DF-4695-B77B-44DA64C7A8B8.png

I don't live out west, but have hiked and biked extensively out there. You ain't riding a gear laden ebike on many parts of most of the trails I have been on. They are simply too technical. Hell, many of them have places I couldn't manage on an unladen ebike and I am a pretty good and fit rider.

bsnedeker

WKR
What is the term you would use for the equivalent of a "gun Fudd", but for bikes?

Whatever it is, this thread has exposed a LOT of them!!!

Lowg08

WKR
Ran into a kid from Rock Springs on a Quietkat in one of my fav elk units. He said it took him 12 min to get where it took me an hour to hike. Nice kid but im confident he was not legal. He did put us on a deer my buddy later killed.

View attachment 465248
That looks like a USFS sign and they have designated trails by class and trail for e bikes. Just depends on the area. If ebikes are not allowed they will be signs at the trailhead. It will be a man on a bike with a plug

Gobbler36

WKR
They simply shouldn’t have any place on trails that aren’t meant for motorized travel, I personally think all bikes shouldn’t be on non motorized trails. If it has gear or wheels it belongs on motorized trails otherwise it’s foot traffic or horse travel only. btw this is from someone who hunts off motorcycle frequently and also my four wheeler but I also try and hunt a majority of non motorized or wilderness areas

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would be okay banning all wheels and all motors on all trails all year long for all user groups on national forest lands. Yep, I said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be all for banning Washington and California hunters from Idaho too, but that isn't going to happen either

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd be all for banning Washington and California hunters from Idaho too, but that isn't going to happen either

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cmon sneaky you are better than that. We have exchanged pms before so you know where I stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
I always say, if I come across an ebike or ebiker on a non-motorized usfs trail, the air is getting let out of the tires. Sorry if it's you and you have to walk out. Self regulation folks. They're definitely illegal on any designated non-motorized usfs trail. Personally I haven't had it happen yet but I know it will eventually.

It really makes me sick to watch the hunting celebs tout these stupid things. Even prominent hunting industry people tout them to try to make that next dollar, yet like has been stated, in 10 years we can thank that marketing power for creating the abuse of these motorcycles.

Lowg08

WKR
I always say, if I come across an ebike or ebiker on a non-motorized usfs trail, the air is getting let out of the tires. Sorry if it's you and you have to walk out. Self regulation folks. They're definitely illegal on any designated non-motorized usfs trail. Personally I haven't had it happen yet but I know it will eventually.

It really makes me sick to watch the hunting celebs tout these stupid things. Even prominent hunting industry people tout them to try to make that next dollar, yet like has been stated, in 10 years we can thank that marketing power for creating the abuse of these motorcycles.
You do realize they are legal on some trails and more trails will be becoming open shortly. Then they can get you for personal property vandalism on federal property

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
I think ebikes should be allowed anywhere a horse or mountain bike is allowed. They all aid a person in getting to their hunting spot easier and faster.
Hunting from a chopper would be even easier and faster.

I’ve stopped debating crap like this, no one argues in good faith. Everyone argues like my wife, making up all kinds of reasons to support opinions except just admitting they’re a lazy fatass.

tdhanses

WKR
Hunting from a chopper would be even easier and faster.

I’ve stopped debating crap like this, no one argues in good faith. Everyone argues like my wife, making up all kinds of reasons to support opinions except just admitting they’re a lazy fatass.
But is the lazy fatass more successful hence the animosity some have towards the tool bag, my guess is no they aren’t.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
You do realize they are legal on some trails and more trails will be becoming open shortly. Then they can get you for personal property vandalism on federal property
Lol no. There is almost ZERO enforcement of any laws on federal lands. No one is getting ticketed for letting air out of ebike tires in the middle of BFE. LE has way better things to do, this is going to be a self policing issue. Ebikes/atv/dirt bikes used where not legal some people are going to take law into their own hands.

Lowg08

WKR
Lol no. There is almost ZERO enforcement of any laws on federal lands. No one is getting ticketed for letting air out of ebike tires in the middle of BFE. LE has way better things to do, this is going to be a self policing issue. Ebikes/atv/dirt bikes used where not legal some people are going to take law into their own hands.
Maybe it’s just where I live. They actually have enforcement here. They do patrol and write tickets. Two local federal court houses. So just saying I know they write and enforce here. Also folks need to take into account they are becoming legal and labeled trails. On USFS. Move mine and you’ll be deaf. I have an alarm on mine. I catch someone letting air out of mine they gonna catch one. I didn’t pay 2 grand for a bike to have some jerk that doesn’t agree flatten my tires. Do unto others as you’d have done unto you.

It will be self policed for sure. Just as trailcam bans are. Some will feel the need to be the forest police and damage someone's property. They will get away with it, until they don't, and then they will call the cops and turn in the guy that caught them in the act and beat their ass.

if you decided to screw with someones stuff, because you don't like it in the backcounty. Make sure that the person you are screwing is not crazier than you. I would go ballistic if i caught some one screwing with my stuff.

tdhanses

WKR
if you decided to screw with someones stuff, because you don't like it in the backcounty. Make sure that the person you are screwing is not crazier than you. I would go ballistic if i caught some one screwing with my stuff.
If i caught someone jacking with anything of mine i’d just video it, follow them back to camp and then when they head out the next day destroy their camp completely, hike out and take the video to the cops with pics of license plates of every vehicle at the trail head.

No need for confrontation.