E BIKES

Does anyone know if e bikes are considered a motor vehicle in idaho, i have talked to rangers who say no but then i spoke to a young f&g officer who said it was considered a type of motorcycle even though it has pedals. just want to be sure , if i go into an area that has restrictions

OP
I just went through this same debacle and after many days talking to agencies, the conclusion was anything with a motor regardless of size is not allowed in non motorized areas. Idaho has motorized maps and I was told you can only use the ebike on the routes designated motorized on that map. I’m still confused though lol
I ended up not getting the ebike and will stick with a mountain bike.
that is what i am struggling with right now because where i hunt packing out without assistance from the motor means pushing the bike for a long ways sometimes

horniac

FNG
I know E-bikes are fairly new to the scene but I don’t know why IF&G doesn‘t clarify their regulation. See prior thread;

Horniac

lak2004

WKR
Not allowed on national forest trails that are non motorized, because, well it has a motor. If you can ride a motorcycle, you can ride your e-motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Oh man.... thatd be terrible
before you post your smart ass comment maybe i should clarify that where i hunt i am generally 5-6 miles from any road and often i am alone or only have 1 other person with me, thus the need for any tool to help me pack out is a bonus. i get it though that serious road hunters like yourself have no need for this since you just drive up and down the forestry roads waiting for some to cross in front of you so you can illegally shoot them and then claim how hard you hunted. your are the reason i dont normally join forums because i cant stant smart asses like you!

brsnow

WKR
before you post your smart ass comment maybe i should clarify that where i hunt i am generally 5-6 miles from any road and often i am alone or only have 1 other person with me, thus the need for any tool to help me pack out is a bonus. i get it though that serious road hunters like yourself have no need for this since you just drive up and down the forestry roads waiting for some to cross in front of you so you can illegally shoot them and then claim how hard you hunted. your are the reason i dont normally join forums because i cant stant smart asses like you!

What is the difference between road hunting and e-bike hunting?

OP
i dont have an e bike , but i do use a mountain bike to pack out not hunt, i like to think that the speed and care of the meat that i have harvested is part of being ethical so much that i have had my horns stolen in the past because i chose to pack the meat out first. there are no roads for miles where i hunt only very small game trails which the use of a mountain bike make the speed of recovery in and out with fresh meat much faster, but there is also areas where the mountain bike would benefit from the assistance of an electric motor. normally i have to hike back 3-4 mile just to retrieve the bike after the kill, i dont hunt from it. side by sides and atvs have really put a lot of pressure on the animals in the past 10 years because they can go 75 % of the most popular areas. not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to take 2 weeks or more off to hunt so anything that does not affect the game yet aids in recovery i feel is a welcome tool. jmo think what you want but dont be a smart ass. thats the real problem with our media culture these days is people will say stuff that they would never say to your face

lak2004

WKR
i dont have an e bike , but i do use a mountain bike to pack out not hunt, i like to think that the speed and care of the meat that i have harvested is part of being ethical so much that i have had my horns stolen in the past because i chose to pack the meat out first. there are no roads for miles where i hunt only very small game trails which the use of a mountain bike make the speed of recovery in and out with fresh meat much faster, but there is also areas where the mountain bike would benefit from the assistance of an electric motor. normally i have to hike back 3-4 mile just to retrieve the bike after the kill, i dont hunt from it. side by sides and atvs have really put a lot of pressure on the animals in the past 10 years because they can go 75 % of the most popular areas. not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to take 2 weeks or more off to hunt so anything that does not affect the game yet aids in recovery i feel is a welcome tool. jmo think what you want but dont be a smart ass. thats the real problem with our media culture these days is people will say stuff that they would never say to your face
There is evidence that mountain bikes put a lot of pressure on wildlife, and e-bikes can go faster and farther. Hence the reason why some of us despise them. If you want to use it on a motorized trail, fine. If you want to use a normal mountain bike on a legal trail, that's fine too. The problem lies in motorized transportation on non-motorized trails and poached/illegal trail building. As you said, wildlife have a ton of pressure from other forms of motorized recreation, so why add to it?

Also, it's the internet, if you don't have some thick skin, you'll have a hard time enjoying this site. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
There is evidence that mountain bikes put a lot of pressure on wildlife, and e-bikes can go faster and farther. Hence the reason why some of us despise them. If you want to use it on a motorized trail, fine. If you want to use a normal mountain bike on a legal trail, that's fine too. The problem lies in motorized transportation on non-motorized trails and poached/illegal trail building. As you said, wildlife have a ton of pressure from other forms of motorized recreation, so why add to it?

Also, it's the internet, if you don't have some thick skin, you'll have a hard time enjoying this site. Good luck and happy hunting.

please show me scientific proof that mountain bikes have major pressure on wildlife, or is it just other opinions from hunters who agree with your theory , from my personal experience ive ridden 30 yards for a group of mulie does on the way down to retrieve my quartered game and an hour later,went right past the same group with not even a care i was there. according to fish and game mountain bikes are not illegal to use even off designated roads for travel , in fact the last warden i spoke with said he wished more hunters would use them and not atvs.

lak2004

WKR
please show me scientific proof that mountain bikes have major pressure on wildlife, or is it just other opinions from hunters who agree with your theory , from my personal experience ive ridden 30 yards for a group of mulie does on the way down to retrieve my quartered game and an hour later,went right past the same group with not even a care i was there. according to fish and game mountain bikes are not illegal to use even off designated roads for travel , in fact the last warden i spoke with said he wished more hunters would use them and not atvs.

[/URL]

OP

[/URL]

thanks i will read it, probably written by peta or an evironmentalist but i will give it a read. just because someone writes it doesnt make it fact. as pres trump would say "fake news"

wapitibob

WKR
The rules/regulations are easily found thru google.

Forest Service:
File Code: 2300/2350/7700
Subject: Electric Bikes and Trail Management

BLM:
Information Bulletin No. 2015-060

The state game dept will regulate them under their TMA/HMA regulations.

The state motor vehicle code will regulate them on state roadways.

lak2004

WKR
thanks i will read it, probably written by peta or an evironmentalist but i will give it a read. just because someone writes it doesnt make it fact. as pres trump would say "fake news"
All articles are published in peer reviewed journals. If they don't fit your agenda, that doesn't make them false. You asked and I provided, up to you from here.

OP
just finished reading and was written by enviro anti hunter so called scientist, are you a hunter or another enviro who likes to troll hunting forums and has nothing better to do. this article names hunting as the main pressure on wild life. im a conservationist who believes hunters do more good than bad for wild life and help prevent starvation and disease from over population, when you post stuff like this makes me wonder which side of the fence are you on?

lak2004

WKR
just finished reading and was written by enviro anti hunter so called scientist, are you a hunter or another enviro who likes to troll hunting forums and has nothing better to do. this article names hunting as the main pressure on wild life. im a conservationist who believes hunters do more good than bad for wild life and help prevent starvation and disease from over population, when you post stuff like this makes me wonder which side of the fence are you on?
Like I said, doesn't fit your agenda so you call it fake. No way you read all those in 24 minutes either. Thanks for trying.

OP
[/QUO
The rules/regulations are easily found thru google.

Forest Service:
File Code: 2300/2350/7700
Subject: Electric Bikes and Trail Management

BLM:
Information Bulletin No. 2015-060

The state game dept will regulate them under their TMA/HMA regulations.

The state motor vehicle code will regulate them on state roadways.
thanks for the clarification that is what the f&g officer said . it was two rangers that both said the they were legal and thats why i was confused. guess i will stick to conventional mountain bike for now, thanks again

Opens with a general question regarding legality, comes out with firing from both barrels defending the use of e-bikes. Seems to be a lot of these users lately? Are these guys hired by the manufacturers? Will we be arguing the difference between mechanical and motorized next?