E-Call for a beginner

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get into calling coyotes and would like to get an E-call. The buddies that I usually hunt with run FoxPros (not sure on the model). I would like to get something under $500 if I can. I will be using it to call coyotes in NW Missouri if that matters at all. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

WCB

WKR
For just under $500 you can get a Lucky Duck Revolt. 3 or 4 serious predator hunters I know use them. They are very clear can get annoyingly loud which is nice in the Dakota winds and swivels so you can spread the sound around. AND it has a decoy attachment. So you get a lot for the package.

With that said I have a Primos Turbo Dog. $129

In tournaments my buddy and I rotate stands/drop one guy off drive 4 or 5 miles down the road and call. Between his Lucky Duck and my Primos Turbo Dog we haven't seen any difference in effectiveness running essentially the same sounds. He used to run the Fox Pro Inferno or Patriot and did ok with it but he actually grew to hate it. But some stuff is personal preference.

Also, do not count out learning to use mouth calls. Everybody and their brother are running e callers now with the same sounds and it shows. It may have been coincident but last year one weekend in prime weather I made 20 sits before I shot or even saw my first coyote or fox. I was stubborn but ont he 21st sit I left he E-caller in the truck and just brought my mouth calls. Had a double within 10 minutes. Next set had a fox almost trip over my feet. 2 stands after that another yote.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I bought a FoxPro inferno for a first call; on sale, sub-110 price range if I recall. Paired that with a $30 Primos motion decoy and I was in business. Still use the same set-up and still getting results.
I would recommend too looking at All Predator Calls on the web; they were really helpful for me and loaded the sounds I wanted plus some they recommended based on what I was chasing.
You'll enjoy whatever you end up with - it is a fun way to extend the season and start early too.
EDIT: And I carry mouth calls for back-up or 'alternative' sounds as WCB notes.

ICOTEC outlaw - call/decoy combo about $400, comes with 240 sounds and they also have lots of other sounds you can download for free off their website. The remote is easy to use with big gloves and can get plenty loud in open terrain.

TheGDog

WKR
I've been wanting to try to use strictly mouth calls only on the next Coyote I take.

What I'd like to ask the folks that do Mouth Calls a lot... can you give some examples of the kind of pattern you do to the calling?

Example: Cal for this long... pause for this long, repeat that X times... if no takers, then switch to another sound after how long... then on that next sound is the on and off pattern the same, or....?

And I know any suggestions you make is just a suggestion. If it matters I'm SoCal so either Desert Hills or Alpine type terrain.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
For that price, I would go with the foxpro fusion, shockwave, or one of the X series calls. I have the fusion and love that thing. The remote is the best on the market, and the calls are durable. Best thing about sticking with the foxpro, you can download sounds from your buddies computer instead of having to buy for a different brand.

I have been on and off Predator Hunting for about 10 years, really never got serious with it, I picked up a real cheap Hunters Specialties Johnny Stewart Call years ago with five sounds, (cottontail, coyote howl, coyote pups, fawn, jackrabbit).
Years ago, using cottontail call, I successfully called in two red foxes, took one down.
The excitement always got my blood boiling!
Now I have kids of my own and want to carry on the excitement!
Took my two sons out for their first coyote hunt a few weeks back, there ended up being something that came up behind us, we saw their tracks and scat on the way out, never saw it while in the stand, I think it was a coyote? but the scat looked different? Still using this cheap call!
My kids are psyched and ready to keep hunting, but I feel like I'm ready to upgrade to a higher quality Foxpro to keep the excitement rolling!
I have been looking into either the "Shockwave" or the "X2S"
Anybody have thoughts on one or the other?

Currently have this call with these sounds (cottontail, coyote howl, coyote pups, fawn, jackrabbit):
Hunters Specialties Johnny Stewart Call (not the exact call, same color, different sounds)
619aeFsLAEL._AC_SL1178_.jpg

Looking into purchasing either:
Shockwave from BigSky
p5RU8w3l.jpg

or
X2S from "All Predator Calls"
x2s_1__77080.1629746030.jpg

dennyking

FNG
I have an Icotec Outlaw and have been really impressed by it. Many coyotes have given their lives to get a glimpse of it.