E coli

Rob5589

WKR
Fast food, restaurants, are common places to contract e coli. Jimmy Johns sandwich shop is having issues currently.

OP
Short Track
I'm fully recovered.
Very stange for the Dept of Health to call me 1 month afterwards, and they have my full medical records. So much for HIPPA.
I can't imagine it's Moose or Deer, or any other wild game. and I do eat a lot of it. Pretty much every day.
I don't eat beef, or pork.
I'll just watch cooking temperatures from now on.

There are a bunch of forms of ecoli. My home well water tested positive a few years ago. Who knows how long it was contaminated but my whole family drinks a lot of tap an none of us showed any symptoms. I shocked it and called it a day. Maybe it’ll make our internal systems more resistant in the field.

Rob5589

WKR
E coli and several other types of infections are considered a public health issue. Medical providers are required to report them to county health departments. I received the same call when I had contracted salmonella.

Wapiti1

WKR
The most likely source is lettuce or other produce like broccoli. It is very difficult to wash those effectively to remove it. The e coli gets there from irrigation water at the farm. It is a feces and intestinal contents bacteria and doesn't reside in the muscle tissue. It gets on the surface and either isn't killed, or gets mixed in.

Ever notice that its hard to find fresh bean sprouts (this is the stuff that keeps me up at night)? Many large chains stopped selling fresh sprouts due to e coli issues. They only sell canned sprouts because they don't want to deal with the liability.

Jeremy

Legend

WKR
It comes from feces or the stomach. So there is no connection to meat. If you didn't take care of the meat you could have contaminated it. For those on a well that test positive for ecoli it tells you that your well or the plumbing has somehow found the surface runoff or your septic system. Or you simply didn't wash your hands before the sample was collected or you left the lid off to long. Ecoli is common.