E-scouting and Road Layers in UT

WAB

FNG
I’ve been e-scouting for a Utah LE elk hunt this September and would appreciate advice on a couple topics:

On satellite photos and some mapping layers, I’m seeing what appear to be primitive roads and motorized trails which are not shown on the USFS MVUM layer. I am assuming there will be people using these routes for access with trucks and ORVs. Do folks agree this is accurate?

And in addition to the MVUM layer, which layer(s) do you all prefer as most comprehensive/accurate for all roads and trails? I’m using GAIA GPS and GE Pro primarily if that matters.

Thanks in advance!

Jethro

WKR
The most accurate would be to get an actual MVUM from the forest/district you are planning to hunt. It will have what roads/trails are open, when they are open, and what can travel on them. They are an extremely valuable map when planning to hunt FS land.

Can find them online in PDF form or contact your district office.

Gaia, OnX etc. are pretty accurate, but the best is to go right to the source.

OP
W

WAB

FNG
Follow up after the hunt - people were driving motorized vehicles on every possible road and trail in the unit. Did not matter a bit if the road/trail was marked as open on the Forest Service MVUM. I asked a few locals about it - sounds like little or no concern about enforcement.

What Forest?
Unfortunately that seems to be the case in most around here.
How did the hunt go?

OP
W

WAB

FNG
It was the forest in the central part of the state.

Hunt was an amazing experience. The greatest part was spending time with three old friends. The kindness and hospitality of the local folks was refreshing and inspiring. Several went above and beyond to help us out in various ways. And if that wasn’t enough I shot a beautiful bull.