E-scouting blacktail S. Oregon

bloom1gr

FNG
A taboo topic to ask other hunters, I know, so feel free to be as vague or specific as you'd like. New to western spot-and-stalk hunting, new to blacktail hunting, moving to Oregon and just looking for some tips on locating deer and/or elk without being able to walk around out there yet. I know actually being there is a big part of scouting, but trying to learn what might make it easier to locate better spots to start.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been e-scouting areas for cascade blacktail and it’s difficult to find much information on the topic. I think it really depends on what kind of hunt you are planning for. Depending on whether you are bowhunting early season or late season, or rifle hunting early season (high cascade hunt) or October, and whether you plan on still hunting timber, or trying to glass and spot and stalk is going to steer you toward which terrain you are looking for while e-scouting. This is how I’ve thought about it when looking at the maps/google earth.

For instance, I’m looking at the high cascade hunt and e-scouting for burns and open country that’s glassable.

For still hunting timber, perhaps for November archery, I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for since it’s just thick timber from the aerial views and until you get into it on the ground, its hard to see if it’s more old growth, park like vs thick underbrush.

Also, there is the whole clearcut / timberland approach. Many guys are going to rifle hunt clearcuts, and that’s a no brainer, since your just looking for cuts, and you can do your analysis of cut age compared to when the aerial photos were taken.

Just like anywhere else, look for travel areas, pinch points, saddles, etc. A big one is looking for clear cuts that border mature timber. That is a big one for both elk and deer. If you're new to Oregon, get to know a little about the different corporate timber companies. Each one has different nuances when it comes to access. Also, just because there's a road leading to a block of BLM or national forest doesn't mean you can drive on it. Plenty of private gated roads blocking nice looking public land.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I’ve been e-scouting areas for cascade blacktail and it’s difficult to find much information on the topic. I think it really depends on what kind of hunt you are planning for. Depending on whether you are bowhunting early season or late season, or rifle hunting early season (high cascade hunt) or October, and whether you plan on still hunting timber, or trying to glass and spot and stalk is going to steer you toward which terrain you are looking for while e-scouting. This is how I’ve thought about it when looking at the maps/google earth.

For instance, I’m looking at the high cascade hunt and e-scouting for burns and open country that’s glassable.

For still hunting timber, perhaps for November archery, I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for since it’s just thick timber from the aerial views and until you get into it on the ground, its hard to see if it’s more old growth, park like vs thick underbrush.

Also, there is the whole clearcut / timberland approach. Many guys are going to rifle hunt clearcuts, and that’s a no brainer, since your just looking for cuts, and you can do your analysis of cut age compared to when the aerial photos were taken.
I'm pretty open to both archery and rifle hunts. The archery seems so much more challenging and exciting, whereas the rifle hunts seem more likely to bring home meat. I actually just moved to Oregon this past week, so it's pretty damn satisfying to have the opportunity to walk around these areas I've been looking at on OnX and google earth the past few months. First scout was a nice lesson in elevation gain compared to the little baby hills I had access to in Kentucky. How far from Medford are you doing your scouting and hunting?

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty open to both archery and rifle hunts. The archery seems so much more challenging and exciting, whereas the rifle hunts seem more likely to bring home meat. I actually just moved to Oregon this past week, so it's pretty damn satisfying to have the opportunity to walk around these areas I've been looking at on OnX and google earth the past few months. First scout was a nice lesson in elevation gain compared to the little baby hills I had access to in Kentucky. How far from Medford are you doing your scouting and hunting?

Sweet welcome to Oregon. Yea the elevation is quite something when you get boots on the ground. There’s a tip to increase the perspective/scale in google earth to give you a better idea for what you’re in for.
I’m hunting a bit further north, Jefferson wilderness areas, and Mt Hood and Willamette Forest.

Michael17

FNG
Blacktail prefer edge habitats. Try to look for areas with clear cuts that aren't too fresh. The best clearcuts are at least 4 years old, so some of the feed has grown back. You have to understand the local timber companies access rules to avoid trespassing, rules are usually posted at gates. BLM Thinnings can also be good habitat and can easily be spotted on ONx or google earth.

Some of the best habitat is oak savannah it usually has good feed and high deer numbers, but is often times private land.