E-Scouting For Elk

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is Part 4. Not sure if this will be the last part of the series or if we will transition it to "in-the-field" suggestions. We've got a lot recorded that still needs sorted and edited into some format that is coherent, which with my rambling can be rather challenging for an editor.

Thanks for watching.

[video=youtube_share;QwAacanQlgg]https://youtu.be/QwAacanQlgg[/video]

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information, i've been looking for something just like this to get started.

Beendare

WKR
I'm no fan of these TV or "Celebrity" bowhunters in fact, many are a bit of a joke. Randy is an exception for sure... ....a guy can learn a lot from Randy's approach.

Even on his hunts....watch the way he analyses an area and hunts it. its not the "rifle hunting with a bow" that many use....its thoughtful analytics utilizing elk behavior...and he is putting it out there for others to learn from...not to pound his chest.

Kudos to you sir....that is quality info from an exceptional person.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've had several conversations with Randy, including a two hour podcast. He's the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
I agree, Randy appears to be a stand up guy! I do not know him personally but I like the way he teaches & how he handles himself, he talks to ones as friends & doesn't look down on you. That's a good trait to have, too bad others have issues in that area!

ElkNut1

Thanks Randy! I'm always looking for more knowledge, methods and info. I'm gonna be looking at it and using it on the limited hunt area I plan to hunt this year! Doug

Aporia

FNG
Randy, thank you so much for showing us your methodology for e-scouting new areas.

In part 3, you mention identifying old burn areas on the map but it's not clear to me how you are identifying them. What's the visual criteria you are using to determine whether an area looks like an old burn on Google Earth or OnXMaps? Is there a way to cross-reference wildfire information from previous years? Who would have that information?

Aporia

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Randy, thank you so much for showing us your methodology for e-scouting new areas.

In part 3, you mention identifying old burn areas on the map but it's not clear to me how you are identifying them. What's the visual criteria you are using to determine whether an area looks like an old burn on Google Earth or OnXMaps? Is there a way to cross-reference wildfire information from previous years? Who would have that information?

Aporia

onXmaps has them on their Elite version HUNT APP product going back to 2002. We are working on a way to get it available on the WebMAP product. If you have the HUNT APP, go to the National Layers, click on Fire Data, and you will see them with a lot of data listed for each fire. You can also use Google Earth, but given the time of year the imagery was taken, it is not always visible. I use Google Earth to confirm what degree of torching happened.

There is a Web service called GeoMAC Wildfire Viewer

They have from current to 2002 fires. The map works a lot better on a desktop vs a mobile device. It even shows public/private land ownership. It also allows different maps layers, such as imagery, topography and street views.

Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Great series Randy with a lot of valuable tips and strategies, and having watched these episodes on YouTube I have downloaded and subscribed to your podcasts also, very worthwhile and as others have said, it seems less "commercial" and more like "dropping in with a couple of friends for a chat", I'm really enjoying your product and look forward to whatever you continue to publish.

cheers,

Ian

bz_711

WKR
I enjoyed the vids...well done. Big fan of easy to access web content such as these...keep up the good work.

DIY HNTR

FNG
I really enjoyed the video series and all of your videos Randy for that matter. I'm wondering if you could have a video that more specifically shows what to look for to determine a bedding area, or feeding area, how to spot possible wallows, etc. For brand new elk hunters who live out east, we don't know how to identify these areas very well.

Thank you.

Dameon

WKR
Randy's show is full of useful information and his honesty and strong ethics are a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of the other celebrity hunters. His advice on hunting unit boundaries is spot on. I used a similar tactic last year in an extremely high pressure area and managed to get a close encounter with a big bull. I've been watching Randy's show to get more tips for next year. Thank you Randy.

Sent from my iPhone us

JeremiahH

WKR
Thanks for all the work Randy, great stuff. And really enjoyed the presentation on this at the rendezvous !

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
If you go to the local forest web site they all have a link to their gis datasets, one of which will be fire polygons. You can pull those into google earth, then export the ones for your hunt area and import those into the onx web map. The dataset is too big for the web map initially, thus needing to be parsed in GE.