E scouting for High country mule deer in Co.

aam

FNG
Hey guys first post on here. But I am planning on doing a DIY hunt in Colorado in 2021 or 2022 for archery season. And I am just trying to do some scouting via my phone. And hopefully in 2021 do some boots on the ground scouting. I have been using onX and google earth to slim down the units I am interested in. I just am curious what you look for while on google earth and onX. I have found some very Good areas in high country. But it all seems like it would be damn near impossible to do a stalk in such rocky or steep terrain. I guess I just feel a little discouraged because idk what I am looking for exactly. I appreciate the help. Thanks

OP
A

aam

FNG
I should note. I am looking at the unit 751/75. I’m not looking for locations or anything like that. But just want to be pointed in the right direction to be able to find good locations while using google earth. A lot of the areas I was looking looked like they had a lot of loose rock.

Satellite imagery isn't going to do you too much good until you have a frame of reference. What I mean is, if you've been to a high country unit and seen deer above timberline, you can go back to the computer and look at the sat images to get perspective on what good habitat looks like. You kinda got to pick a unit and go for it.

I can tell you that whatever you are seeing on google earth for 75/751 is VASTLY different from reality. The vegetation is different, there’s 10x more deadfall and the terrain is ridiculous.