E scouting mule deer

jt4

WKR
Is there such a thing as e scouting for mule deer in SE Montana or is it more about trying to get away from people where possible, putting the time in on your feet and getting lucky?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firestone

WKR
Definitely worth escouting. You will be lightyears ahead before you step foot in the unit. Especially down there, finding spots of public that could be difficult to access because of private

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Definitely worth escouting. You will be lightyears ahead before you step foot in the unit. Especially down there, finding spots of public that could be difficult to access because of private

Definitely hope it puts our group and some type of advantage by spending time looking at the maps, so I should clarify. I’m definitely e scouting for places that look good as far as access, limited entry points etc. More so I meant for physical features of the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Do you know what you are looking for? Then sure.

Otherwise, show up and let the deer tell you what they like, then hunt those areas.

I'm not an expert but when i travel hunt, it is about finding animals on hunt-able ground. If I can't hunt there I ignore it, might have a huge 4x4 standing in some guy's front yard and buddy wants to spend an hour watching it - if can't kill it, why bother? We are there to hunt, so chop-chop. LOL!

S.O.P. for me is e-scout for a general overview with Google Earth, OnX and Gaia, from there boots on the ground is the next best bet to further examine the spots you have interest in. If thats not possible calling the local biologist/ Game and Fish can get you some starting point ideas to further e-scout.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will always E-Scout, download maps, etc. Gives me a rough idea, as well as distances i will be traveling on foot when necessary.

Best friend is onX find the type of country you want to hunt then look for those little pockets away from roads and always have plenty of backup locations in case the deer just aren’t there