Ear Pro.

Superdoo

WKR
Anybody have some good luck with non-custom in ear styles?
I have put off getting decent ear pro for years because every set I’ve tried at the sub $100 mark have been very disappointing.
They need to be active so I can hear the group of guys I hunt with.
I have a set of over ear impacts, but they get pushed off when I shoulder the shotgun.
I’d say I can go to around $500, but I’m not ready to swing for a custom set considering the potential to loose them in the field.

Real end user reviews would help narrow the options.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I've done some more research on this and at my price point the options are damn near limitless.
Walkers has a couple of options.
The around the neck version intrigues me and concerns me...

kloppy

FNG
I am in the same boat as you. Have been looking into the SoundGear instant fits recently which seem to be the best bet in your price range. There really are a lot of options in that price range but the reviews seem hit or miss until you get into the $1,000+ range.

One point worth acknowledging - I dont hesitate spending $1000 on a NR elk tag but the idea of $1,000 on an electronic ear plug seems hard to justify. I think thats my problem.

Otto NoizeBarrier High Definition Electronic Earplugs is the best I've found. At the top of your budget. No battery/charging problems, don't notice them at all when wearing, solid in ear fit, and they have been the best with wind. Only con I can think of is I wish they were more flush with my ear, but never had a problem with them coming out of my ear or getting snagged on branches and the like. This will be my 4th season with them.

kloppy

FNG

Otto NoizeBarrier High Definition Electronic Earplugs is the best I've found. At the top of your budget. No battery/charging problems, don't notice them at all when wearing, solid in ear fit, and they have been the best with wind. Only con I can think of is I wish they were more flush with my ear, but never had a problem with them coming out of my ear or getting snagged on branches and the like. This will be my 4th season with them.

How is sound direction with the Ottos? I like that they are rechargeable as opposed to battery.

Great, so far as I can tell. I really forget I have them in until I take them out at the end of the day.

I’ve had a set by etymotic for 10+ years that I’ve been happy with overall. They aren’t amazing for telling direction of sound but not terrible either. I think they cost around $300. I always carry a little wheel of the hearing aid batteries which weighs nothing but the battery life is pretty good

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I think I'm going to try the Westone Defendear Digitals. I've talked myself out of the non custom route and into the buy once cry once route. I have a set of custom passive plugs and really like them.
I'm leaning towards the westones because the electronics are removable which means if I have a problem or want to upgrade the circuitry in the future I won't have to get new molds made.

I still need to visit with the ESP dealer too.

I know it's not really feasible but it would be really great if they could get some side by side comparisons done. I know it's a very subjective topic, but we do it with optics, packs and boots...

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
@larryschwartz I found your article from 2018. Do you have any updates or additional comments from what you've seen/ used in the last 3 years?