Earliest rut action?

Azone

WKR
For all you guys that hunt on the "coveted" A zone tag each year, what's the earliest you have seen signs of the rut?
I have had years where I've seen spikes and dinks chasing the last week of August and I've also had years where bucks were still bachelored up the second week off September.
I've noticed that deer on private not getting tons of pressure will rut sooner and deer that get hammered on public ground generally lag behind a couple weeks or so.
Also has anyone ever had any luck rattling/calling in the last weeks of the season?

MeatBuck

WKR
No. Hunt the does if you think it's rut time.
I killed a decent forkie 4yrs ago in early September that was chasing. Earliest I'd seen.
You've gotta think about what time of year a particular deer was dropped. I've seen fawns with spots in September. Those deer are probably going to come into season much later in the fall. Where as a fawn dropped in March probably gonna be the ones you see rutting in A zone.

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Funny you say you've seen fawns with spots in September, I thought I was loosing my mind one year the first time I watched a buck chasing a doe in the end of January out here, I had never seen them chasing that late.
I've always made a point to sit on does an extra 20 to 30 minutes before moving on come the beginning of September just in case a buck is started to get a little interested.
Hopefully we get a small cold front to come through in the last weeks of the season to get things fired up.

No. Hunt the does if you think it's rut time.
I killed a decent forkie 4yrs ago in early September that was chasing. Earliest I'd seen.
You've gotta think about what time of year a particular deer was dropped. I've seen fawns with spots in September. Those deer are probably going to come into season much later in the fall. Where as a fawn dropped in March probably gonna be the ones you see rutting in A zone.

MeatBuck

WKR
Funny you say you've seen fawns with spots in September, I thought I was loosing my mind one year the first time I watched a buck chasing a doe in the end of January out here, I had never seen them chasing that late.
I've always made a point to sit on does an extra 20 to 30 minutes before moving on come the beginning of September just in case a buck is started to get a little interested.
Hopefully we get a small cold front to come through in the last weeks of the season to get things fired up.
That last week, get out and visit all the does you've seen til that point in the season. The more does you see the more likely you are to see a buck chasing one.

Last edited: