Early Elk Season Rain Gear

What is the best rain gear for early season archery elk - Colorado.

Im Leaning towards Kuiu Chugach, Northridge or Sitka Clouburst.

HuntWyld

WKR
Cloudburst is noisy. Sitka Thunderhead is a little heavier but quite for archery hunters.

OP
D
Cloudburst is noisy. Sitka Thunderhead is a little heavier but quite for archery hunters.

Thank you for the info. I have the thunderhead system and it is quiet but SUPER heavy. Almost better for whitetail treestand sits. Looking for a much lighter option that isnt crazy noisy.

Don't spend much at all .... Sept. storms will likely be quick thunder storms --- not long drizzles. I use the Outdoor Research Helium II jacket ... 7 oz, $100. Packs to the size of a softball. They make it in Coyote ... but any color will due.

stump06

WKR
Don't spend much at all .... Sept. storms will likely be quick thunder storms --- not long drizzles. I use the Outdoor Research Helium II jacket ... 7 oz, $100. Packs to the size of a softball. They make it in Coyote ... but any color will due.

This has been my experience. I have a Teton rain set that packs about the size of a softball in case of a quick shower or more than likely a tarp to throw up quickly to get out of the rain and keep myself and gear dry.

Other times of the year may dictate different rain gear

wybry

FNG
Ive heard the kuiu Yukon is a great all around jacket and hard to beat. Currently debating this myself, id like to just get one jacket (rain jacket) and not both a rain jacket and soft shell. The yukon seems to fit that need.

Ive heard the kuiu Yukon is a great all around jacket and hard to beat. Currently debating this myself, id like to just get one jacket (rain jacket) and not both a rain jacket and soft shell. The yukon seems to fit that need.
The Yukon is overkill IMO for September in CO. I have the Yukon and the Chugach and prefer the later in September.

Kotaman

WKR
If you want something inexpensive that flat out works (especially when it spends most of the time in your pack), the Cabelas Space Rain is unbeatable for rain gear that gets carried more than worn. Sitka Dewpoint is a close second, but the Dewpoint (while still available) is no longer being made.

Rain Gear that actually works and "quiet" cannot usually be used together in the same sentence. The problem is, when rain gear is designed to be quiet, it has to have a soft shell. Soft shells absorb moisture and are bulky. If hunting from a drive up camp, soft shelled rain gear is ok (Like the Sitka Thunderhead and Down Pour) as you can dry it out at night. "Quiet" rain gear is useless to me most of the time.

IMO most of what's listed in the above posts (except the OR Helium) is over kill for "in the pack" rain gear. I haven't had the best luck with ANY KUIU rain gear keeping me dry on an extreme hunt. You want to stay dry on an extreme hunt the Kryptek Altitude Takur is the best I've used, and I've pretty much used it all (First Lite, Sikta, KUIU, Kryptek) in some extreme environments.

Last edited:
If you want something inexpensive that flat out works (especially when it spends most of the time in your pack), the Cabelas Space Rain is unbeatable for rain gear that gets carried more than worn. Sitka Dewpoint is a close second, but the Dewpoint (while still available) is no longer being made.

Rain Gear that actually works and "quiet" cannot usually be used together in the same sentence. The problem is, when rain gear is designed to be quiet, it has to have a soft shell. Soft shells absorb moisture and are bulky. If hunting from a drive up camp, soft shelled rain gear is ok (Like the Sitka Thunderhead and Down Pour) as you can dry it out at night. "Quiet" rain gear is useless to me most of the time.

IMO most of what's listed in the above posts (except the OR Helium) is over kill for "in the pack" rain gear. I haven't had the best luck with ANY KUIU rain gear keeping me dry on an extreme hunt. You want to stay dry on an extreme hunt the Kryptek Altitude Takur is the best I've used, and I've pretty much used it all (First Lite, Sikta, KUIU, Kryptek) in some extreme environments.

I second the Cabelas Space Rain. I have used mine in all day down pour (8 hours) whitetail hunting and only finally got a little damp on top of my shoulders. You will stay bone dry in pop up thunderstorms that come and go throughout the day.

Also, the Space Rain has a waterproof/breathability rating of 10,000/10,000 which is the exact same as the KUIU Northridge.

Gumbo

WKR
If you can get your hands on a Dewpoint set I would highly recommend it. I have found it to be perfect for early season, non-monsoon type hunts.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is the best rain gear for early season archery elk - Colorado.

Im Leaning towards Kuiu Chugach, Northridge or Sitka Clouburst.

I would go with the Sitka cloudburst jacket. It is very light weight, and very packable. It is 100% Gortex, and will last you a long time. If you plan on out of the country this jacket will be the best out of the ones youre looking at.