Early Elk with a Rifle Questions

bkondeff

FNG
So I put my youngest son in for an early(Sept 25-Oct10) rifle bull tag her in SC Idaho with very low draw odds. I figured he had little time because of school and sports that the hunt would have to be good and somewhere I could scout to justify. I picked the unit as I figured I could scout for deer there anyway and if he drew, then we kill 2 birds...

Well he beat very tough odds and drew. So my question is, since the archery season is Aug 30 - Sept 30, and deer hunters start pounding the General hunt Oct 10, given limited time, should we go the earliest we can to catch the best part of the rut, to wait till the many archers leave and we have as few hunters in the mountains? Is it likely the rut would slow down a bunch between 9/25 and 10/1??

The great thing about having kids that hunt is you get to live through their experiences. My three sons all drew good to great tags this year. I couldn't even draw and extra antlerless whitetail tag....

PS I am usually a Nov 1 elk hunter, so the rut is not my forte.

2rocky

WKR
Depending on how remote your spot is I'd be there for the opening day. Seems like if the opener is during the week there is less pressure than when it is on a weekend. If you go into a remote camp on the weekend you can scout 3 days before OD. Listen at night for elk bugling. Do the same things folks recommend for archery hunters. Get a cow call. Learn to use it.

Remember if you see cows there is probably a bull nearby.

Last Fall I killed my bull in rifle season at archery range on the second morning. Had to get 2 ridges over from the trail to actually hear him talking the evening before.

YOur son will be fortunate to get to spend this special time with you.

I'd be there opening day! Sept 25 is a tuesday this year. I'd show up Saturday/Sunday depending on what camping setup you have. If its comfortable then you're son will be less likely to be burned out with scouting for two days than if he was sleeping under a tent somewhere and living off Mountain House meals. Pull him out of school that week and get it done! Best of luck to you thats pretty awesome! I love having people I know with good tags that don't conflict with my own hunts to help out on. Some of my favorite hunts for sure!

Mike

OP
B

bkondeff

FNG
Scouting starts the weekend after the 4th. Bucks for me and a buddy and bulls for my kid.

Sept 23rd is his 14th birthday so we'll have to make cake in camp. He's 5'7, 104lbs, so I think we will also bring horses. Should be fun. Hopefully it won't be 90degrees. He mostly hunts to be with family, primary passion is Lacrosse and Skiing, so I'm not going to push too hard and make this fun. Being in around bugling bull's make really spark him though.

Thanks for the advice guys. This site is great, love the lack of antagonism.