Early/Mid Season Pant with Hip Zips

Venom One

WKR
As the title indicates, I'm looking for pants that will work from 40 - 80+ degree temps WITH hip zips. Preferably stretch fabric, quiet for bowhunting, with good abrasion resistance. I've been doing a lot of research lately on this subject, but can't seem to find a clear winner.

Kuiu Kutana - probably the front runner; main concern is the comments about the sizing and "skinny jeans" feel. Also, they have articulated knees with a 34" inseam. I have a 30" inseam so that'll put the articulation area pretty low. Not sure if that's a big deal, but I don't want to pay $170 and have knee-rubbing issues.

SG de Havilland Lite - really like the hip zips, but biggest concern is the numerous comments about how loud they are. Can't handle noisy clothes.

FL Corrugate Foundry - seems like a good pant, but damn they're HEAVY. At 28 oz, they're twice the weight of the Kutana's, but FL still places them in the 45-80+ degree category.

Kuiu Tiberon - Seems to be too light for cool mornings

Kryptek Alaios - limited info; says it has hip zips, but can't find any pictures/video of it. The knee pad option is nice, but not sure how comfortable it is or if it's adjustable since they come in 32" inseam and I need a 30".

Any input on these options - or something I missed?

Bump79

WKR
I have the Corrugate Foundry Pant. I'd say you could get into the 80 range as they are the same material as the normal Corrugate but it's pushing it. I really don't notice weight in pants very much but they could reduce weight in those by getting rid of the double layers on the seat and knee and just use their 3.5 layer waterproof material.

If you want this temp range what you need is a lightweight pant then add a light zip off bottom.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Kutanas are where the search ends if knee pads aren’t a must. I have 3 pairs hemmed to 31” inseam and have no issues at the knees. I’m also not a slim guy (5’11” 210”) and I have no issues with a “skinny Jean” fit.

ChrisAU

WKR
Forgot to add I also have De Havilland Lites just for the knee pads for shooting comps, but I don’t find them near as quiet or as comfortable as the Kutanas.

I’ve also had two pairs of Corrugate Foundries, and I like them, but they aren’t particularly good at anything. The Kutanas are more durable and nearly half the weight.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR

I have the Corrugate Foundry Pant. I'd say you could get into the 80 range as they are the same material as the normal Corrugate but it's pushing it. I really don't notice weight in pants very much but they could reduce weight in those by getting rid of the double layers on the seat and knee and just use their 3.5 layer waterproof material.

If you want this temp range what you need is a lightweight pant then add a light zip off bottom.
I actually looked at the SKRE pants, and they seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking for, but there wasn't a lot of feedback/reviews so it left a lot of questions.

Your comments on the Corrugate match what I'd picked up from reviews - they just seem too heavy. I was leaning heavily toward the Kuiu Attacks initially, but there were enough comments about them being too warm for early season so I nixed them. Seeing the Corrugates are 2x heavier than the Attacks, I think they're going to be too hot. Appreciate the info though.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Kutanas are where the search ends if knee pads aren’t a must. I have 3 pairs hemmed to 31” inseam and have no issues at the knees. I’m also not a slim guy (5’11” 210”) and I have no issues with a “skinny Jean” fit.
Forgot to add I also have De Havilland Lites just for the knee pads for shooting comps, but I don’t find them near as quiet or as comfortable as the Kutanas.

I’ve also had two pairs of Corrugate Foundries, and I like them, but they aren’t particularly good at anything. The Kutanas are more durable and nearly half the weight.
Awesome info, Chris!

I don't think knee pads are a must. I've only had one pair of pants with pads and didn't care for them, but maybe the right pants would change my mind. Your comments ease my concerns about the Kutana's and confirm that the SG and FL pants aren't what I'm looking for. Many thanks.

BBob

WKR
I own Kuiu Attack, Tiburon, Kutana and discontinued Alpine’s. I hardly ever wear the Alpine’s and don’t wear the Attack very much at all. Attacks are way too hot for 80+. I wear my Tiburon’s the most, even down pretty cold with a merino base layer. I’ve been comfortable in snowstorms below freezing in them when moving. When I sit to glass in colder temps I throw down pants over them. Kutana’s are probably the most versatile out of them all. They are tighter than the Tiburon but I don’t find them restrictive at all. The articulated knees aren’t even noticed so I wouldn’t put much into that at all.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Corrugate Foundry for me too. I just hate the available sizing options. Luckily mine fit perfect.

Lowg08

WKR
Mine fit well. Love the suspenders though. I’m hey just check all the boxes for me

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
If that corrugate foundry had a mesh between where it zips down to prevent ticks, spiders, whatever....and more size options I think it would be perfect. I removed the kneepads but maybe I'll need them someday and I can easily pack them. I'm used to wearing crap so to me these are super light pants. I haven't tried the others. I wish Prana would do a zip vent on their stretch Zion pants though! That would be awesome.

Lowg08

WKR
If that corrugate foundry had a mesh between where it zips down to prevent ticks, spiders, whatever....and more size options I think it would be perfect. I removed the kneepads but maybe I'll need them someday and I can easily pack them. I'm used to wearing crap so to me these are super light pants. I haven't tried the others. I wish Prana would do a zip vent on their stretch Zion pants though! That would be awesome.
I never felt like I was getting the full benefits of side zips with the mesh lining. Now the foundry dumps it in a hurry.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I never felt like I was getting the full benefits of side zips with the mesh lining. Now the foundry dumps it in a hurry.
Agreed. I liked kuiu’s pants but feel like the foundry is a game changer. I much rather have the zips like this

Lowg08

WKR
Agreed. I liked kuiu’s pants but feel like the foundry is a game changer. I much rather have the zips like this
I have two weight zip offs I can change out til I need the corrugate

Kuiu Kutana - my choice for those conditions

For 80+ weather I love the Tiburons as they breathe so darn well, letting the slightest breeze through. That said, if it cools off in the mountains and there's a cold wind the same quality makes them cold. The Kutana's are a tighter fabric, but still light for moderate warmth days with the hip zips open.

I'm about 6' 215lbs and they fit just fine.

I really wanted to like the De Havilland pants, but the fits were so bulbous in the thighs for me that I looked like an old stuffy British Cavalry officer. Just wouldn't work for my body type.

Attacks, at least for me who gets hot when hiking, would be way way to hot for me if moving anytime above about 50 degrees.

s

Taken my Kutanas to north of 110 at which point all pants suck. Pant material holds up well.

I have Gen 1 Tiburons. They handle the heat well but let anything and everything in that has a point including AZ mosquitos (which are much smaller than their northern brethren).

IdahoHntr

WKR
I overheat easily and sweat just looking at weather over 60 degrees, but the first lite corrugate foundry pants worked great for me in 80+ weather. The vents seem larger than a lot of other options out there, which really helps. I wasn’t super pleased with the durability, but function wise they are definitely the most versatile pant I’ve worn. I don’t have the experience to compare to others like some that have posted though.

I will also say the waterproof knees and seat are pretty sweet for the cold snowy weather. I liked that feature more than I thought I would. I warrantied my original pair, and I’m hoping that the stitching on those was an anomaly. If they hold together, I think they are great option. I can’t think of a hunting season here in Idaho when I wouldn’t wear them from August to January..