Early/Mid Season Pant with Hip Zips

jd1006

WKR
Take a look at the Outdoor Vitals pant. Seems like a discounted Kutana, to me.

Bump79

WKR
If that corrugate foundry had a mesh between where it zips down to prevent ticks, spiders, whatever....and more size options I think it would be perfect. I removed the kneepads but maybe I'll need them someday and I can easily pack them. I'm used to wearing crap so to me these are super light pants. I haven't tried the others. I wish Prana would do a zip vent on their stretch Zion pants though! That would be awesome.
I actually disagree here. The reason I bought these pants is strictly because they don't have that mesh. It allows you to access zip of base layers without dropping your pants to your knees. Plus it breathes better.

My only complaint about the zippers is that they need a backer to keep that cold plastic off your skin.

I just bought the Stone Glacier Lite pants. I used their in- house option to have them hemmed to my inseam length. After I receive them I will report back. I love the idea of having to not wear a belt. Belts are terrible with long hikes with a pack.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
The Kutana's I bought from one of the members here arrived a few days ago. They're exactly what I was looking for weight-wise, but I wish they had more stretch. They seem to have ok lateral stretch, but no vertical stretch.
If the Sitka Traverse pants had hip zips I'd have bought them because the 4-way stretch is impressive.

Really glad I didn't go with the Tiberon's as the Kutana's are as lightweight as I'd want. If there weren't so many positive comments about the excellent durability of the pants, I'd be worried about that they were too flimsy, but I'm trusting the reviews on that front. The Kutana zippers are small and unobtrusive, but most importantly, they can be opened and closed WITH ONE HAND. The pockets are low so they can be accessed with a pack on, and they're also reinforced so I don't see them ripping easily. Overall, I think they'll fit my needs quite nicely.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
I just bought the Stone Glacier Lite pants. I used their in- house option to have them hemmed to my inseam length. After I receive them I will report back. I love the idea of having to not wear a belt. Belts are terrible with long hikes with a pack.

Whoa, in-house hemming option?!? Awesome! I hope the rest of our clothing makers follow suit.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the SG Lites.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Take a look at the Outdoor Vitals pant. Seems like a discounted Kutana, to me.

Yeah, for everyone who loves the Prana Zion, those pants look similar in cut, but with hip zips. Depending on their water resistance, durability, and quietness, they might be a good contender.

nantzh

FNG
Kutana pants are awesome. Tough, durable, dry quick, light weight and hip vents.
I dont think I will ever try out another pair of pants for those conditions.

At the current sale price its a no brainer.