Early Mornings, yuck.

Anyone else wish elk woke up at lunch time?

I'm a morning person, but getting up and hiking in the dark is miserable to me. I absolutely love the hunt but hate those super early mornings.

Thess87

WKR
I’m the opposite lol. I would much rather do the morning hike than hunt till dark knowing I still have a couple hour hike till I get back to camp and am able to relax for 5 mins till it’s time to go to sleep and wake up in 5 hours.

I’m trying to incorporate waking up earlier to workout throughout the year to get better at it. It hasn’t made it any easier yet, haha

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I'm 100% with you on this. I truly hate early mornings and elk hunts are the only time I should get my lazy azz up, but durn is it difficult. I'm determined next month to get at least a few mornings well before dawn.

Also, if I do hunt at a later time, it almost certainly means processing an elk well past dark which can't be any fun when hunting solo.

Eddie

OP
A
I’m the opposite lol. I would much rather do the morning hike than hunt till dark knowing I still have a couple hour hike till I get back to camp and am able to relax for 5 mins till it’s time to go to sleep and wake up in 5 hours.
ha, I don't like either option! I do much prefer getting up and hunting early to packing out late in grizzly country.

I'm a morning person and I'm rarely up any later than 6:30, but man these early hunting days are rough. If my choices are get up super early or pack out late, I guess I'll get up.

Why can't elk come out around lunch time...even around 9:30 would be great.

Marble

WKR
I like to sleep in, and sometimes do. But usually wake up time is 0330, maybe 0430, depending on weather and horses for elk hunting.

Staying late doesn't bother me. Been packing to early morning hours on multiple occasions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ah the beauty of antelope and caribou hunting! There’s no question that you have to mentally, and physically push yourself in the morning. I hate it too. I get up at 4 for work. With 2 hours time difference that’s 2am mountain time so I should be able to adapt easily right? Wrong! If I give it 100% when hunting the day before it’s never easy to get up. But it’s SO important! What I see in the morning dictates what happens all day. Missing seeing a bull enter the timber after feeding by even 2 minutes does us no good at all. I make sure I’m in position before light. Of course a 12:00 nap might be necessary.

Gerbdog

WKR
Gotta enjoy that mid-day nap for sure, but im in the same boat, it shouldnt be so darn hard to wake up and get into the woods but it is... every single morning... 4 am feels awful. It's why i work in an extra half hour into my schedule.... once im up and moving? No problem... its getting me out of that nice warm sleeping bag and into that cold morning air. It's a half hour process and the clothing goes on one piece at a time while im still in the sleeping bag... with about 5 minutes between each piece and me thinking "elk hunting is a dumb hobby". Everything's back to happy happy once you hear the first bugle of the morning and the first cup of coffee is down the hatch.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I hate hiking in in the dark, but have no problem with hiking out in the dark. I prefer evening hunting, but morning hunting is generally better during archery. I don't like the cold, so even 40 degree mornings aren't fun. I don't mind breaking down a bull at night......the flies and bees are nonexistent then, but it makes for a very long night. And then generally an early morning as well to finish the packout. I've never been a nap guy........ever.

I love mornings, and morning hunting, but I suck at taking naps. I am far more likely to flame out before the evening hunt than I am to miss a morning hunt. I love hiking into my spots in the dark when it's snowing. I don't really like hiking out in the dark though. Dunno why. It's no different, but mentally it isn't nearly as much fun.

TheTone

WKR
It’s harder for me when I’m day hunting from the house vs being in camp. About the only things I can force myself into an early wake up for are elk and turkeys, an early work day is tough! In the past I would sort of time it to be at my parking spot for when I wanted to be hunting but the past couple years I’ve had to get to spots earlier just due to the influx of hunters and wanting to be first at the trail. I probably hiked more miles with a headlamp this year than all other years combined.

I really only hunted one afternoon this year and it was the last day. May have taught myself a lesson as I saw two bulls that night and had one going within a mile of the pickup as the season closed

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honsetly, suck it up and get going. It's only a few weeks a year. I look forward to the early mornings and long days/nights. It's part of the struggle that makes the harvest that much better. I hate the late sleeper complainers that take way to long to get ready and hold everything up in the morning. Sure I would love some more sleep, but the elk aren't waiting for me and I'm there to elk hunt.

Now I'm getting all fired up. This is a hot button for me...

OP
A
It’s harder for me when I’m day hunting from the house vs being in camp. About the only things I can force myself into an early wake up for are elk and turkeys, an early work day is tough! In the past I would sort of time it to be at my parking spot for when I wanted to be hunting but the past couple years I’ve had to get to spots earlier just due to the influx of hunters and wanting to be first at the trail. I probably hiked more miles with a headlamp this year than all other years combined.

I really only hunted one afternoon this year and it was the last day. May have taught myself a lesson as I saw two bulls that night and had one going within a mile of the pickup as the season closed
Camp is easier to wake up for sure. My warm bed always feels nice at 4am and it gets worse as the season gets later and it get's colder. It's easier to think, by 830 it'll be warm enough to get down to a t-shirt versus thinking, it's going to be windy snowy and below 15 all day.

Gerbdog

WKR
Haha, i get it, that's why i work my morning lameness into the schedule. Know yourself and your weaknesses. I'm always at my hunting spot by hunting hours. I also give that extra time to be SURE im not holding myself back, and yea... i've had hunting partners along who are dragging butt... forgetting things back at camp... and have made me late to the hunting spot... it's aggravating... i get it.

you know what... thats firing me up too now .... haha.... bugs me when i warn new guys im mentoring "make sure you lay everything you need for the morning out before you hit the hay tonight, bino harness, bugle tube, all your clothing, breakfast makings and gear...."

Morning comes around and we're rifling through bags at camp looking for cow calls.... or the camo shirt..... or the fn oatmeal.

Ah well, memories

Last edited:
Honsetly, suck it up and get going. It's only a few weeks a year. I look forward to the early mornings and long days/nights. It's part of the struggle that makes the harvest that much better. I hate the late sleeper complainers that take way to long to get ready and hold everything up in the morning. Sure I would love some more sleep, but the elk aren't waiting for me and I'm there to elk hunt.

I’m not waiting for the slow movers. Once I’m out of that sleeping bag and the heated tent nothing is slowing me down. Take your time…. I’ll see you in camp at the end of the day.

Last edited: