Early Mornings, yuck.

I feel for you folks. I used to get up early and travel in the dark but... I found over the years that (1) all elk don't feed in meadows or parks (2) the elk I know are out of their feeding areas 2-3 hrs before daylight and well onto their bedding areas 4-5 miles and 2000 ft higher.

I found the average local hunter typically was headed for breakfast about 9:30 after being in the woods since 4:30 - 5:00. I have killed the majority of my elk between 10 and 3. Hence I usually get the ponies loaded and out the door by 9-9:30. I usually get to greet the first shift as I load up my horses and then again at about 4 - 4:30 as I load them up and head for dinner.

I like to track them into their beds in the dense jungle and shoot them while they are sleeping. Before daylight is not the only option during rifle season.

rclouse79

WKR
I like first light better than last. Trying to make something happen after the sun goes down and you know you are on the clock gives me anxiety.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day, we woke up a 4am to hike 1.5mi and 1500 ft in CO. We wore blisters in our feet on the climb and then ate breakfast at our glassing spot. The terrain was so steep, that I told my brother in law that I was glad it was dark so that I couldn't see how high we were.

I much prefer the early morning hunts over the late evening hunts. I’m usually hunting my way out by early afternoon. I like to be at camp earlier in the evening to relax a little, have super, prep for the next day’s hunt, and then get to bed earlier. Same routine at home.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like to track them into their beds in the dense jungle and shoot them while they are sleeping. Before daylight is not the only option during rifle season.
I agree. I shot most my rifle elk probably after 10am in the deep dark timber. And even during archery, the last few years we've had some great hunting in the evenings with big bulls.

Absolute best time of the day.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
I’m with you! I love early mornings, and when archery season rolls around, I’m sleeping in relatively… all summer I get up at 2:40 to get ready for work, 7 days a week, archery season I usually don’t get up before 3:45 unless I have a reason to, but I really enjoy getting on scene before daylight listening for an elk to break the silence.

Waking up early if I’m not working means I’m doing something fun. The worst of early mornings for me is summer steelhead fishing, getting up at 2:15, make the drive and ride a bike 3.5 miles gradually uphill, I would rather walk but a bike is more efficient… it is a bit of a rude awakening because I don’t ride much besides that

I prefer evening hunts overall, but hate tracking in the dark. I’ll gladly get up early to hunt elk and deer, but I don’t over look the mid day move/stretch. 3:30 to 4:30 almost all hunting season. Makes work days productive so I can sneak a few hunts in during the middle of the week close to home. If I’m solo packing at night it’s not my favorite so morning is a nice hunt solo. With a buddy I’ll hunt both harder

I've been having a real rough time getting my friends/girlfriend to get up at 3 to hunt. But it's often a 2 hour drive to the trailhead, which leaves an hour or two to hike in... And then we still see a sea of orange sometimes. Think I need to go solo more next year.

We camp at the top of the mountain and sometimes will sleep in to let the thermals rise then hunt down the mountain. Then we hunt until dark. Kind of nice to do a few times when you have time. Especially since there's no point in trying dodge them down thermals.

I love the early morning hunt. I am likely at 8k plus in elevation and the view is stunning when the sun rises. I am up early in my day to day as well. I also hunt until last light and hike to camp with a headlamp.