Early or Late for archery?

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple weeks for hunting september so im trying to decide if i want to hunt early or late. If i hunt early and its been dry and hot then water will be a premium. BUT there most likely wont be much rut activity before i have to leave...........BUT............there wont be a bunch of cow eyes to get past if i find a bull to go after........and then again......there wont be a bunch of bugling hysteria to listen to and man i want to get into a bunch of buglin bulls.........

seems like each hunt has its pros and cons.

what time do yall like to hunt?

My experience I’d rather hunt after the 13th for better bugling. The sounds of September get me every year even if it is more eye balls to get around it’s still worth it all to be where I camp and listen to them bugle in the meadow 150 yards from me in the middle of the night.

jmez

WKR
I prefer late. One thing that will shut the elk down more than pressure is heat. They don't like it and neither do I. If it is hot they will be heading back into the trees before sun up and won't come out until right at dark. In my experience it really cuts down their daytime movement. I won't go early again.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
wish i had the whole month...........id put in for late season in nm and hunt colorado otc the first two weeks before the muzzleloader guys get there.

I think this depends a lot on your hunting style. If you're a good caller and willing to put in the work every year with a reed and can put yourself in situations where calling is effective then I would definitely try for the last half of the season. Early season you'll be able to pattern bulls if that's your thing and they act much more consistently in my experience (weather depending). I much prefer late season. Nothing like screaming bulls.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
i prefer the wet season just for the ability to move more quietly. don't care for the rut for hunting since i'm usually after cows. i do appreciate having a chat with bulls though.

Marble

WKR
I like a little bit of when they cowing up and when they are bugling so I plan accordingly.

johnw

FNG
Assuming a month or so archery season, I like the early part and trying to pattern them. If I cant get it done in the opening 7-10 days Ill be back for the last week of the season. If I lived close, Id hunt them all September.

Short solo trip early (4 days or so) to get a feel for where the damn sheep are, maybe snag one on a summer water pattern. Main hunt with the two man team week-3-ish. Traffic seems to pick up a bit on last week so I only go out if it's last ditch.

OFFHNTN

WKR
To me, a lot depends on hunting pressure. If it's an OTC area that gets hammered, I like to go early, like opening week. If it's an area that takes several points, or is hard to get to, then no doubt I'd go late when they are bugling.........there is nothing like it.

nmuhs

FNG
Less pressure early. In my experience I've had more encounters early too. Smoke poles and extra pressure throughout the month push elk in harder to find areas later in season.

I'm newer to this but I've found that in Montana in the mountian range that I hunt I want to hunt the last week of August. But since we can't the first two weeks of Sept. By the third week it will probably snow and that in the past has had negative effects on day time activity. And with zero ability to glass for elk and water and walloes everywhere I need the elk to be in the mood to either bugle or come to cold calling.

Then too where I go a lot of the elk move off the public to rut on private as the rut progresses.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk