Early post rut behavior?

Pro953

WKR
So going in the the early end of the post rut. Would you focus on a area where cows are still active with the chance of a few cows still in estrus calling a bull in, or would you avoid the cows and focus on “sanctuary” areas where the bulls may go to recover from the rut. What to do, what to do….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
You don't name dates but in most cases the bulls will still be with cows into Oct. no problem!

Cows do not have an estrus sound to call bulls. Good luck!

ElkNut

I can only speak to where I hunt, but post rut (i.e. early October) bulls are still with cows for the most part and they are in the same places they were during the rut. It's not until late October, and sometimes after the season ends that I've noticed the bulls and cows separating. So I hunt the rut areas for the whole season.

Wrench

WKR
You'll likely see bulls covering more ground looking for the stragglers....although, BIG bulls are still cautious.

I've had bulls respond instantly near the end of October covered in cows....and I have seen them balls deep in sanctuary areas.

Age class, bull to cow ratios and past pressure all play big parts into how this will play out.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks everyone. Looking at late October in WY. First Wyoming bull tag so trying to figure out how to prioritize areas I want to target. Fingers cross this helps me narrow it down. Until I change my mind ten more times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
There is more then one heat cycle. The second one starts about now. In alot of places the second cycle is hotter then the first.

Reactions: MJB

Grant K

FNG
my experience in WY is that the bulls are mostly still with cows for the first couple days of rifle season at least, after gunshots start going off I've seen more bulls heading to sanctuary zones by themselves...

ElkNut1

WKR
Glassing open areas would be my #-1 choice during rifle hunts! Bugling for location in timbered areas can help locate unseen dark timbered elk. Once located shut down calling & move in for the kill.

There's other ways to locate but these would top the list!

ElkNut