Early pre-season scouting or go 1 week ahead of actual hunting season?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been awhile since I have looked at new hunting territory and I'm curious of how others would approach this.

Would I be better served by summer scouting of the area or is it better to go a bit ahead of the hunt? I understand the animals summer patterns may be dramatically different than how they behave and where they will be come fall. I can do some map reading and online research and such but nothing like boots on the ground.

Ideally I would do both but that might be a challenge. Lot's of variables I know but I am looking to see how you folks would handle this.

cgasner1

WKR
Both would be ideal things tend to look different in real life to me than google earth a day two in the area helps a lot to then go back and e scout some more prior to season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half of filling a tag is knowledge of the area. The more you know, the better off you'll be. If you can swing it, take as many opportunities to put your boots on the ground ahead of time.

rclouse79

WKR
If time off is the limiting factor I would try to take as much time off in season and spend a lot of time on google earth beforehand.

Poser

WKR
If it’s one or the other, a week before. I scout quite a bit all summer and it’s usually a super entertaining affair seeing animals out relaxed, feeding and even bedding down in the wide open at all hours of the day. The fall is nothing like that, though and only a handful of locations are good during the summer and the fall.

If one or the other I would go a week before, ideally i like to do most of my scouting the previous winter, which you can plan on doing next season. Good luck with the new property!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't scout areas ahead of time that I'm hunting that year. I prefer to do my scouting of unknown areas while I'm hunting. I don't like leaving my scent everywhere ahead of time. So if I was going to do it, I would do it earlier........like July or early August vs right before the season starts.