Early Rifle CO 2024?

harry

FNG
I've been out of the loop for 10+ years due to a few injuries and life in general, but the whole time I kept up on applications. I now have 12pts for CO deer. From what I can tell, the Flat Tops Wilderness is the best tag I could draw as a non-resident. Reading a few post on here though I'm hearing that that tag is over-rated. I'm starting to plan for 2024 and I'm also planning to make a scouting trip to Colorado this September. Just trying to get some advice from people that know, if I'm heading in the right direction? or if I should take my 12pts elsewhere? Thanks.

Prob will get a bunch of diff opinions. Try going through the history of the site to see if anything pops up.

I’ve been reading up on the early seasons too. Seems like reporting isn’t always accurate (under or over rated).

Some areas slipped lower in point reqs but could also be for differing reasons. One I’ve read is that seasons are pushed to the right a smidge (meaning later). It’s a CPW 5 year cycle they set. And if my recollection serves me correctly, that resets in another 2 years.

I believe there are about ~10 early season spots (some above timberline). Chart out a paper with pro cons of each location regardless of deer. Then dial in the deer history and see if that works for you.

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
harry

harry

FNG
Thanks for the reply snowymtnwolf. I have a lot of research to do, never had much luck with the biologists and other government employees so I thought I'd start here.

Thanks again for the reply and tips!

Poser

WKR
Try and make that scouting trip as close to the rifle season dates as possible. I’ve never hunted that season, but I’ve spent a metric ton of time above treeline in Sept in the San Juans and I just don’t see deer out actually above treeline after August. If I’m not mistaken,the definition of “above treeline” is above 10,000 feet? Treeline around here is going to me more in the 11,600 range. I think you’ll be hunting below 11,000 feet though you may be glassing from above 11k or more. Just don’t expect to see deer bedded down at 13k like you see in the summer. I think I’d focus on glassing up avalanche chutes. That’s my 2 cents.

above timberline: some units say 10,000 ft elevation and some say wilderness area boundary (depends on area I guess).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the early rifle hunts in Colorado, I think the Flat Tops would be lower on my preferred list. But, hunting up high in September is an awesome experience, and if that's what you have your heart on, definitely go for it. There's deer around, but they are scattered and probably hanging in or near timber by then, as @Poser alluded to.

OP
harry

harry

FNG
Try and make that scouting trip as close to the rifle season dates as possible. I’ve never hunted that season, but I’ve spent a metric ton of time above treeline in Sept in the San Juans and I just don’t see deer out actually above treeline after August. If I’m not mistaken,the definition of “above treeline” is above 10,000 feet? Treeline around here is going to me more in the 11,600 range. I think you’ll be hunting below 11,000 feet though you may be glassing from above 11k or more. Just don’t expect to see deer bedded down at 13k like you see in the summer. I think I’d focus on glassing up avalanche chutes. That’s my 2 cents.
I've been out a few times in different units with archery the first week of September and saw a fair number of deer, those units do not have an early rifle. The Flat tops is a week earlier than the other early rifle units Sept 2-10 vs Sept 9-17, so I'm hoping to catch them still in summer mode. I do plan on scouting the first week of Sept. this year' I just want to be fairly sure about the unit before I use a trip to scout it out. Don't want to waste a trip.

Thank you for the info.

OP
harry

harry

FNG
Of the early rifle hunts in Colorado, I think the Flat Tops would be lower on my preferred list. But, hunting up high in September is an awesome experience, and if that's what you have your heart on, definitely go for it. There's deer around, but they are scattered and probably hanging in or near timber by then, as @Poser alluded to.
You are correct, the early September hunting experience is key for me. I'm not really set up with colder weather gear.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
The flattops deer herd took a substantial hit this past winter, overall tag numbers have been reduced to compensate for the losses. You might want to take this into consideration before you cash in 12 points. I’d be willing to bet the biologist for the area could probably shed some light on it for you.

OP
harry

harry

FNG
The flattops deer herd took a substantial hit this past winter, overall tag numbers have been reduced to compensate for the losses. You might want to take this into consideration before you cash in 12 points. I’d be willing to bet the biologist for the area could probably shed some light on it for you.
Thank you for that information. Had that happen to me years ago. The extent of the winter kill wasn't reported until after I had already applied, drew the tag and there were no deer to be found.