Early Rifle Montana

snvts82

FNG
Has anyone hunted the early rifle season in Montana? Around how many non-res pts does it take to get it? Looking for a change to the colder 3rd season hunts I usually do. A warmer wilderness hunt during the rut sounds awesome.

As in the Selway or the Bob Marshall wilderness areas? Do a search on those two names and you’ll probably decide to hunt somewhere else. Beautiful country but elk numbers are down. Way down.

bsnedeker

WKR
I live near that area and I don't know anyone who has ever hunted it that lives around here if that tells you anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
Wow, that bad. That’s crazy. I’ll do some more search. I was looking at the bob marshal. Thanks

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, that bad. That’s crazy. I’ll do some more search. I was looking at the bob marshal. Thanks
You'll need horses, I do know one guy that hunts there, but he goes in like 12 miles and the numbers of elk are WAY down, and he covers a lot of ground to find them. So if you don't have horses, be prepared to work hard to find any elk.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
You'll need horses, I do know one guy that hunts there, but he goes in like 12 miles and the numbers of elk are WAY down, and he covers a lot of ground to find them. So if you don't have horses, be prepared to work hard to find any elk.
We’d be using an outfitter. I figured I’d ask here before calling them to see the opinions on the hunting percentages.

In the Bob, most of the elk are holed up in a place where hunting isn’t allowed yearlong. The rest are weary from hunting pressure, wolves, lions, and grizzlies. Highest density of grizzlies in the lower 48. Better places to hunt on a general license, especially if you want to go outfitted.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The backcountry units are general units so you shouldn't need any points to draw. Most of the units are extremely difficult to get into. As others have stated, you will more than likely need to go in on horses. Elk numbers are low in some of the units due to heavy predation from wolves and grizzlies. If you are looking for a week long adventure it would be a great trip, just know that the hunting can be difficult!

Everyone I know who is successful on that hunt has one thing in common- they have horses and cover a shitload of country. It’s not so hard to kill a bull with a rifle at that time of year, but locating a vocal one takes a lot of trail miles because they just aren’t that thick. My friend got one last year after riding 50 miles before getting into them. They could have taken more bulls but they didn’t have the animals to get them out in 1 trip. I have seen many people fail at drop hunts in there because they can‘t cover enough terrain. That said, I think the outfitter success rate is pretty decent on ok quality bulls- a monster one is really rare but it happens, occasionally.

I hunted MT for 20 years. 18 of them opening week Rifle with an outfitter and 2 of them 3rd week. All with the same outfitter. Opening week is the week to go. 3rd week is too weather dependent. It can be warm opening week but the Elk haven't been chased by thundersticks yet. You have the element of surprise which trumps weather in my opinion. If you get a cold opening week then it is usually epic. I shot all of my 6 pint bulls opening week and shot rag bulls in the third week because it wasn't that cold and the Elk were wary.

you can draw with your first year but the odds are lower. Usually with 2 pts you will definately draw in the Southwest corner where I have hunted. Large resident herds.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
I hunted MT for 20 years. 18 of them opening week Rifle with an outfitter and 2 of them 3rd week. All with the same outfitter. Opening week is the week to go. 3rd week is too weather dependent. It can be warm opening week but the Elk haven't been chased by thundersticks yet. You have the element of surprise which trumps weather in my opinion. If you get a cold opening week then it is usually epic. I shot all of my 6 pint bulls opening week and shot rag bulls in the third week because it wasn't that cold and the Elk were wary.

you can draw with your first year but the odds are lower. Usually with 2 pts you will definately draw in the Southwest corner where I have hunted. Large resident herds.
CAElkhunter,

Have you hunted Mt recently? And do you have any references for outfitters? Also, did you hunt the opening week of general season or opening week of september rifle? The guys Ill be going with really want a "wilderness" experience, but I think we can easily get that in Southwest Co if the number are that low in the Bob. Ive got a good friend that hunts our of KBarL every year in archery but thats obviously different

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bob Marshall Wilderness (as well as the Absaroka-Beartooth) both offer early rifle seasons, no special draw or points needed. If the sole goal is harvesting a nice bull, then probably could do better elsewhere.

If your goal is a great destination for a wilderness experience (and a chance to harvest a bull), then the Bob would be a great choice. There are several outfitters that work in the Bob, but I would check into Mack and Connie Long. Mack is a former Montana game warden that I had the pleasure to work with over the years. His business is aptly named Bob Marshall Wilderness Outfitters.

OP
snvts82

snvts82

FNG
We’ve decided to hunt Southwest Co. I’m way more familiar with the area and know how to hunt there. After talking to a couple outfitters and looking at the numbers I’m looking for a better chance at taking an animal. I get plenty of time in the woods. I’ve been through a lot of Mt on fires just not hunting. Beautiful country. Thanks for all the replies.