Early Scouting

bigredxlt

FNG
Heading to CO for non-hunting reasons in late April. Wondering if there is any point in trying to work in a few days of scouting. Is it too early to scout? I am guessing there will likely be a good amount of snow in the high country. I am from PA.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really depends on where its at, there will still be a lot of snow in the high country still.However there can still can be a lot of useful Intel you can gather like road access ,migration routes and sometimes depending on the area you can get a feel for populations in a range it can be quite a confidence booster when you see 1000 elk on the lower slopes of an isolated mountain range;they will be highly visible hitting new greenup often miles from there summer range though.Just yesterday i was able to drive up to 8500 in northern Colorado and look at quite a few elk.

I wouldn't start scouting until early Julyish. Lots of transition and migration before that making scouting really unproductive.

Blinn

FNG
Actually scouting for deer will be a waste of time. Checking out roads, access, and getting a feel for the area that you plan to hunt would make sense if roads and weather permit. If you are from PA and are for sure planning to do a mule deer hunt in CO this fall, then absolutely take the time to check out the areas you are looking to hunt. It is always kind of nice to get a first hand look at the area. It makes e-scouting much easier, and less stressful!