Early Season (Archery) Layering Guidance and Help

CodeMonkey

Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2021
Messages
59
So I'm starting to figure out what to bring with me in September here in CO and am needing some help figuring out my layering system.

Here's the current system:
-KUIU 125 Merino LS Base Layer
-KUIU Peloton 97 Hoodie
-Cheap UA softshell (got a great deal on Black Friday a few years ago!)
-First Lite Unspellable 1.0 Puffy Vest
-KUIU Chugach Rain Gear

This works OK, not great. My big gripe is that the softshell and the puffy vest are either both on or both off. Generally, by 9AM I'm in the Peloton and by noon it's down to the base layer. As result, I'm looking at replacing/upgrading the vest and softshell. My thinking is that all I really need is a puffy that can fit under my rain shell.

I know this is probably a can of worms, but given my requirement to fit under the rain shell (which I think means the Kifaru LPP is out, unless it becomes an either/or option), what puffy would y'all recommend? I was looking at the KUIU Kenai Ultra (which has mysteriously disappeared from KUIU's website), the FL Unspellable 2.0, or the FL Brooks jacket (I've heard mixed reviews regarding which FL piece is the "warmer" one).

Should I throw in another mid layer into the system even with an upgraded puffy? I was thinking about a vest (mainly to maintain shoulder mobility) like a KUIU Peloton 240 or FL Brooks Vest.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
 

H80Huntet

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2020
Messages
212
I’m not the right person to answer all this BUT the Kenai ultra is on the outlet under solids. I also really like my Patagonia Nano-Air jacket and it layers awesome under a soft shell. I’m not sure if that’s the right combo for you or not but I have a Kenai vest that I also like a lot so I think the Kenai puffy would work well for you and fit under a shell.
 

Turkeygetpwnd38

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
858
Location
Florida
I think you are on the right track, cut out the soft shell and vest and replace with a puffy. Use the search function, puffy jackets have been hashed out to death on the forum, all the info is out there. I use a very similar system with a little more substantial mid layer and pack the SG Grumman. I’ve had some real winter nights/days in CO in September....
 

gelton

Senior Member
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
2,149
Location
Central Texas
If you cut the softshell you can take the puffy and the vest and still probably cut weight. I like having a vest during archery, not a necessity but nice nonetheless.

Edit - just noticed the vest was a puffy vest, you don't need two. I'd probably rock with what you have or get rid of the softshell and puffy vest and get a softshell vest like the kuiu guide and a puffy jacket.
 

5MilesBack

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2012
Messages
11,918
Location
Colorado Springs
For every September I've hunted in Colorado (15 years), 95% of the time I'm wearing my lightweight merino base top and bottoms, and my old Microtex Lite (thin poly material) button up shirt and pants, and sometimes my microfleece mock-T between the shirts. The other 5% of the time is a heavier fleece camo jacket. Very rarely have I worn my rain jacket........even in 2013 when it poured for two weeks. It was so wet then, that it didn't matter........I was sopping wet either way so went without the jacket. In my avatar photo, that was closer to the end of September and it was raining. I just had my merino, microfleece, and Microtex Lite on.
 

bozeman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2016
Messages
1,422
Location
Alabama
Badlands has a puffy jacket on sale. Eddie Bauer does as well…….saves you some $$
 

gdavis

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2018
Messages
97
Location
Alaska
Check out the Kuiu Kutana Hybrid. Durability and warmth with breathability. Fits under your chugach. It isnt a puffy though if thats what your after, get the Ultra Down from Kuiu for under your shell, but its not quiet for archery.
 

Colobwhntr

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
Messages
62
I’ve hunted archery season at 10k feet and the first week or so only need light layers but always carry a puffy in my pack and light rain gear. After that I will dress warmer as the seasons change and the temps drop but always have my puffy, just can’t beat the warmth to weight ratio. They aren’t quiet but they will save your ass and keep you out hunting instead of heading back to camp.
 

Cbrownfield

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2021
Messages
11
You are not far off, a lot of layering comes down to were on your body do you run cold? You loose heat in your feet, groin, armpits, hands, head thats what I was taught in the Army, and have used that for guidance and it has worked pretty well. Colorado is bi polar so you have to plan for any kind of weather.
 

Hondo

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2020
Messages
267
I'd be inclined to keep the FL vest and replace the UA jacket with a Peloton 240 Hoody.
 
Top