Early Season Archery - Northern Midwest - Worth It?

Warlock

FNG
Hey guys. Just got back from my first bow hunt on public in eastern North Dakota. The place I hunt is a pretty large plot of public grassland surrounded by agricultural fields. The public itself is pretty good land from what I can tell, rife with oak trees/acorns, etc. with a river flowing through portions of it. I went on Labor Day weekend with the intention to primarily scout and check things out to prep as the season heats up. On the drive in before sun-up I saw deer around, and as I hiked all day found plenty of sign (mostly older scat and year-old rubs, and bedding areas, but no deer. I didn't even bump any as I still-hunted which was disheartening. I guess the point of my question, is it even worth it to hunt right now with all of the crops still in the fields? Should I continue to scout these areas, or would I be better off not pressuring the deer until they get more active? I got the feeling when I was scouting that the deer were hanging out in the fields and bedding there primarily during the day and were moving into the grasslands in the evening/night time. Any tips for me to use when scouting? Am I wasting rubber on my boots scouting on foot and I just be truck scouting for the time being so as not to ruin any bedding areas with scent? Honestly I feel like my scouting/hunting trip left me with more questions than answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Check out the Jeff Sturgis on YouTube at Whitetail Habitat Solution. Here is one video on scouting:

He has a ton of no-nonsense tips and strategies you could use to think through your predicament.