Early Season Archery Tactics

Have a couple questions regarding elevation and early to mid September Archery hunting.

How does the overall elevation of a particular unit change your hunting strategies for early sept elk?
And is it a particular elevation that you look for or more top 10-15% in elevation?

For example let’s say unit x elevation ranges from 8500-11500 feet. Early September, we’re going to focus more on 9500’ and up rather than 9500’ and below for our preseason scouting/e-scouting and plan on that being where the elk are until boots on the ground says something different. So with that being said, let’s say unit y is in a different part of the state, different, smaller mountain range. Max elevation of 9000’. Obviously we can’t find elk at 10,000 feet here because it doesn’t exist. So does that mean you focus on the upper 10-15% in elevation again? So 7500-9000’? Or are we just finding Tree line and +/- 1000 feet in elevation from tree line and that’s our focus?

Never been elk hunting, currently in the process of planning my first trip next fall. Trying to absorb as much information I possibly can at this point.

KHNC

WKR
If you just find a good area and start bugling at 8500' and work your way up blowing the bugle every few 100 yds you should get a response. This tactic must really work, as most of the hunters we encountered in wyoming last week were doing this very thing.

Deadfall

WKR
Have a day out of hills today. Was in local sporting goods store. A couple wing nuts were standing in the elk call section talking about learning to hunt elk. One guy picked up a hoochie mama. Pushed it and honest to God said.....All we need to do is learn how to use thus and we can go kill an elk.....
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Rule number one to elk hunting....Don't be like those 2 maniacs

Deadfall

WKR
You want to be successful at harvesting elk. Learn thier biology, why they go where they go, and when that is. Then learn why they make the sounds they make.

Only being able to make one or 2 sounds with A horn tootwr and one or 2 cow like sounds with A call...Is the hard way to go about it.

You'll find elk at all elevations. Pressure, food, weather, biological circumstances all play into it. Learn that stuff, then go hunt

Marble

WKR
I dont hunt based on elevation, I hunt based on where I find elk.

There is not a math equation, or particular recipe to killing elk. Find the elk and hunt where they are at. Sometimes you can glass an area, sometimes you have to walk it. If you are in an area and don't hear or see elk or FRESH sign, GTFO .

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
Was in Colorado early in Sept, no new sign from 9-11.4. Honest to God, cow elk side of the road mid morning 6500......seriously!!

JayTx

FNG
Been finding elk sign everywhere from. Just below 9,000 to around 10,000. Now finding the elk has been a different story. They bugled one day and we had a blast. Had a chance at a nice 5x5 but he busted me trying to draw. They've been quiet for almost a week now.... Been trying to wait then out but they aren't talking so we are going in after them tomorrow.