Early Season calling; Yes or No?

4IDARCHER

WKR
For those of you that archery hunt the opener of elk season ( I will be going to Colorado this up comming fall) so last week in August/First few days of September time frame, how much do you call if any? Is it just too early and you risk blowing the elk out of your area, or do you do some soft cow calls? I am planning to hunt near wallows and water sources as much as possible, especially if the temp is high, but not sure on how much, if any, to call?

bbrown

WKR
I typically just follow the elk's lead - talk if they are. At the same point I usually try to spot and stalk more than calling but that's just my preference.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
You bet! I have been very succesful using what I call the silent calling technique during the first week or so of the season.

Here is how it works. Do some general herd cow calf talk. Throw in a hot cow sound and a small bull squeal near the end. Do this secuence for about 2-3 minutes. Then be quiet and wait about 8-10 minutes. Then you repeat the whole thing over again. Stay on each setup for at least an hour. Elk will come to you but usually they come in silent. Hence the name (Silent Calling).

bounds

WKR
Good advice from both. But +1 to bbrown. I think you have to be adaptable. If WW's approach is giving results, keep it up. If you're not having anything come in, don't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Early season calling is awesome. Even if they aren't talking, they will still come check you out quite often. You also have a good shot at a big guy before he rounds up a harem!

I do think it is best to call sparingly in the early season.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I agree with BB.

Call sparingly! Calling is a great idea early but don't get to aggressive. Most times gotta keep your head on a swivel too because they aren't gonna make much if any noise coming in

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some years they are screaming in the early season, like this last year. Be adaptable and do what the elk do. That being said cold calling can and does work, just be sure to hang around long enough to achieve the results. Nothing like getting ready to leave and seeing your quarry staring at you, going I thought you were an imposter and I was right! Try a little of everything, raking, splashing a wallow, quite calls, loud calls, herd talk etc....as you never know what may work. Your calls dont work if stashed in your pocket. So be well versed and ready to use them.

I try not to call much at all during any part of the season. I've always had best luck staying tight lipped. At least for the bigger bulls that is

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not much of an elk hunter, but will offer that two or three of the best big bull hunters I know prefer the early season (late Aug/early Sept) for calling big bulls. They kill bulls in the 350+ range enough to know. They're not call crazy, in fact far from it, but do call in a few good bulls early that later on can't be touched by a caller.

I almost prefer the early part of September before the bulls start herding up with cows. Don't be intimidating with your calls this early in the year, won't make sense to the elk but they know the rut is close and their curiosity is very high.

Mike

food for thought here. just because the elk might be silent doesn't mean they aren't callable. the trick is seeing them before they see you.