Early season elk pants

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
So I have an older pair of FL Kanab 2.0 pants. I want to upgrade them. Doesn’t have to be another pair of merino pants. I have been looking at the SG De Haviland pants and the KUIU attack. What are your guys go to early season pant for elk? I have the KUIU guide pants for late season. The Kanab pants are feeling just a tad bit delicate these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prana Zions are my favorite warmer weather pant, purchased on recommendation from fellow Roksliders. I wear them all summer long. Very reasonably priced as well!

Edit: sorry! I read your profile wrong! I didn't mean to welcome a longtime member

Last edited:
I use varying Patagonia and mountain hardware pants I find as the gear exchange. I used Kanabs and obsidians in the past with good results.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I love my Kanab’s. They are so light and breathe like crazy.

Link_OH

FNG
I used Cabela's Instinct Stalking Pants last year. They worked well and didn't break the bank either.

ChrisAU

WKR
Kuiu Kutana's, super light but durable with hip vents. Attacks are too hot for me even in mid-late season hunting. If I need more warmth I add layers under.

Attack pants are awesome but can be a tad warm but a great do all. i have been hiking in with tiburons if warm but my attack pants are in the pack. I may move to the obsidians have a pair but havent used yet but if had to pick one to do it all attacks

P Carter

WKR
Outdoor research ferrosi are very light and feel great. They tend to fit tighter—some here would deride then as “skinny jeans” but they fit well on folks with normal BMI (I.e. what people on here call skinny. The pockets are a bit small but I love them, replaced my prana Zions.

jmez

WKR
Sitka Ascent or Kryptek Valhalla. The Attack are too heavy for me in archery season.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I use either Kryptek Valhalla or Cabela's Microtex. The Krypteks dry fast but are very lightweight so I'll only wear them when it's warm out. I have no complaints with the Cabela's pants unless it's above 75 degrees out. Then they get a little warm.

Wright406

WKR
I used the SG pants for early elk here in MT, just my 0.02 is they are a little noisy and too warm, great for late archery through rifle though. I REALLY like my Attack pants for all of archery season. I also like the Black Ovis light weight pants ( very light and stretchy ) although I wish thwy had hip zips. I would recommend buying what size you normally are as well as a size up on the BO pants. They are a little snug.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the replies guys! Really appreciate your insight!

RogerH

FNG
If camo is not a major obstacle, big fan of Khul pants. Many options to choose from at REI. I will also be wearing sitka ascent in September

Wapiti1

WKR
If camo is not a major obstacle, big fan of Khul pants. Many options to choose from at REI. I will also be wearing sitka ascent in September

Kuhl used to make a merino blend pant that was both comfy and durable. I had two pair and wish that I had more. They were my go to for everyday wear and outdoors. When they discontinued them, it shattered my fragile feeling (I have only one). I'm still processing that trauma.

Jeremy

bozeman

WKR
+100 on the Wrangler mountain pants......about all I wear early season and around house/town! $20. Hard to beat that.