Early season Elk socks

sivart

WKR
My feet sweat and blister like no other. I'm ashamed to admit I've been using cotton wall mart socks for the last 15 yrs, because they are the only sock I've tried that my feet don't drench w/ sweat.

What is the best warm weather sock that breathes?

Cplace

FNG
Try an ultralight merino. I really liked the farm to feet Madison, but it’s not made anymore. Darn tough and smartwool have good socks too.
Big problem really is the boot that doesn’t breathe.

CCooper

WKR
I have a few pairs of the coolmax, they are great early season socks- they are my #2 choice for early season behind the farm to feet damascus lightweight.

Cplace

FNG
For me in early (hot) season when the socks get sweaty I try to take off my boots and let my socks air out/dry up while sitting and/or swap out with an extra pair.

Try merino and swap out to a dry pair during the day. When you stop for extended brewers, including glassing, take your boots off (or loosen the laces) and let your feet breathe.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I've tried smartwool and they don't work for me. Feet were soaked.

Cplace

FNG
Feet will sweat no matter what the material. With merino, their antimicrobial, and can be reworn after drying. Cotton will start to stink.

Should powder those dogs every morning when you put your socks on.

Every night take your socks off to dry in your sleeping bag while your feet recuperate.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I use lightweight merino socks for my September elk hunts. I have a mixture of Smartwool, Farm to Feet and Darn Tough. All work great for me. I swap out for a fresh pair each morning, rotate the old pair out, either wash them in a creek and hang to dry, or just hang the old ones up for a day or two before coming back to them.

Cplace

FNG
I’ve been thinking about getting leather lined boots for early season. Hear they breathe better than sweattex, I mean gortex. Anybody with experience?

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely some Merino wool. I love my Darn Tough socks from hiking, hunting and construction work.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried smartwool and they don't work for me. Feet were soaked.
Are you wearing a poly liner sock under them? You mention "blisters" and your "cotton socks are the only socks that don't make your feet drench with sweat". Cotton socks cause blisters......BECAUSE they are drenched with sweat. That's the nature of cotton.......as a natural fiber the fibers absorb moisture. Synthetic fibers don't absorb the moisture, it just gets in between the fibers then wicks out to an outer layer. That's why synthetic liner socks work so well, as long as they have another sock to wick into. Merino wool will also absorb the moisture as it wicks from your feet and liner socks into them. But that's better than keeping the moisture against the surface of your feet.

When it's time for bed each night, I remove my boots, I remove my wet merino socks, and my feet and liners feel dry. I open up my boots, I lay my merino socks out overnight to dry, and then put them back on in the morning and they are fine. I'll wear the same liner and merino socks for a week and they're fine. I've been using the same elk hunting boots now for 9 years this year, and they don't smell at all. I used to get some nasty blisters playing basketball back in the 80's with cotton socks that were drenched with sweat, but once I discovered synthetic liner socks I haven't had a blister since. And wearing just merino socks makes my feet bright red and way too hot even without any exertion.

jd1006

WKR
injinji toe socks (i like the merino) with a darn tough OTC sock of the thickness of your preference. This is what has worked well for me in keeping blisters down (so far). I like darn tough because of the warranty and the quality ( and I’ve returned pairs on the warranty that were 5 years old and they credit you for a new pair of socks, you just have to cover shipping your socks to them). The toe socks look stupid, but they reduce the sweat staying on your feet and causing the sliding in the boot that will result in blisters. I agree with the system of bringing two pairs so that a wet sock can dry and a dry sock is always on your feet.

set up for sept. in colorado:

crispi summit gtx boots that are in process of break in. Currently have 1 pair of crispi lightweight merino socks and thin liners and then a pair of smartwool phd medium weight merino sock with liners. any others I need to check out? Possibly a heavy pair if it gets cold?

Question - how many sock pairs does a guy really need to bring with on entire 10 day trip and in a 2-3 day pack? Assume short 2-3 day bivy hunt then back to truck to re-locate if needed.

My feet sweat and blister like no other. I'm ashamed to admit I've been using cotton wall mart socks for the last 15 yrs, because they are the only sock I've tried that my feet don't drench w/ sweat.

What is the best warm weather sock that breathes?
How far are going in those Sox. I’m my feet don’t hold up well with cotton. I have to have wool.