Early season Elk socks

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Living in AZ, I’ve been struggling with socks. Just tried a pair of the kennetrek Sonora lightweight sock. They’re not merino but breath really well. They’re going on a scouting trip this weekend.

def90

WKR
I wear the Wigwam Ultimax socks, super thin and cool. I find that the boots/shoes you wear make a bigger difference as to whether or not your feet sweat or get hot in the first place. I wear as light of a shoe as I possibly can, I hate hot and heavy feet..

I wear light wigwam ultimax wool socks with some rei liners. I bought a bunch from cabelas one year when on sale. Like others, I take an extra pair and switch out socks and let the others dry mid day. That’s about the only extra I take on the early season hunts clothes wise. Keeping your feet dry is key. The liners give me piece of mind for blisters. I also put some low volume moleskin on my heal area to prevent any boot rubs. Likely not needed as I dont use liners or the moleskin on my training hikes but when I out for a week I take all precautions with my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockford2

FNG
I’ll never go back from wearing the darn tough brand. Lightweight and keep your feet nice and comfortable temperature wise.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
How far are going in those Sox. I’m my feet don’t hold up well with cotton. I have to have wool.
I go deep. Many miles. I just back lots of pairs. I’m not going to run them anymore. I just ordered 9 diff pairs of socks to try. Smarwool, stone glacier, farm to feet, and darn tough. I’ll report back

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to follow up and say the Kennetreks Sonora’s were great this weekend. Was hiking in 100 degrees and out in the sun for the day. They were used with non water proof altra lone peaks and while my foot was a little sweaty, definitely cooler than my previous wool socks I’ve used (REI, Costco, and thorlos).
May try a pair of the darn tough socks but for the price, I’m snagging at least one more pair of the sonora.
Living in AZ, I’ve been struggling with socks. Just tried a pair of the kennetrek Sonora lightweight sock. They’re not merino but breath really well. They’re going on a scouting trip this weekend.

Poser

WKR
set up for sept. in colorado:

crispi summit gtx boots that are in process of break in. Currently have 1 pair of crispi lightweight merino socks and thin liners and then a pair of smartwool phd medium weight merino sock with liners. any others I need to check out? Possibly a heavy pair if it gets cold?

Question - how many sock pairs does a guy really need to bring with on entire 10 day trip and in a 2-3 day pack? Assume short 2-3 day bivy hunt then back to truck to re-locate if needed.

I’d bring 2 pairs for each outing in those circumstances. Wash in a creek if you get a chance on a sunny day and hang them off your pack to dry.

Poser

WKR
If you have particularly sweaty feet, I’d look to get out of boots for September and use trail shoes -breathe much better than any boot will. That will alleviate some of your problem.

Aside from that, as someone mentioned, take your boots and socks off every chance you get.

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at thorlos. They come in different thickness. Some of them are thin and padded in the right places. Smart wool also are pretty good.

dtrkyman

WKR
I wear a medium thickness smartwool mostly, the really thin ones do not work as well for me, they tend to stick to my feet after getting sweaty.

Two pair of liner socks is an option. Though I am not sure I have tried that one yet, may do it today at a 3d shoot?