Early season first lite jacket of choice

What’s your early season first light jacket of choice?

Like 55-70 degrees? Other then a kiln hoodie with some layering. Which jacket would you bring?

Thanks

catalyst ? Solitude?

At those temps and I had to pick first lite, Klamath, MAYBE. And it would be too warm if I had to move. And I’m a sissy in the cold. Honestly I’d just pack the rain jacket at that point. It would be warm enough in a 55 degree sit with a base layer, it would cut the wind, and it would obviously keep me dry if it needed to.

Sawtooth would be another good choice. You could also look at vests. Really you’re just trying to survive the morning because by the time it gets to 70 you’re gonna be down to one layer.

The brooks would be good too. Whatever you choose you’ll likely be carrying it more than wearing it, and the brooks will be the lightest most packable option and the warmest for the weight. It would suck to hike in but at 55 you could just hike harder in your base layer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not jacket weather for me in the temps posted. If I was in those temps I’d be in the kiln hoody with a wick t shirt underneath and take the uncompaghre vest with me for warmth if needed.

Sawtooth would be another good choice. You could also look at vests. Really you’re just trying to survive the morning because by the time it gets to 70 you’re gonna be down to one layer.
Yeah, in those temps chilly mornings my sawtooth vest is perfect. I love that thing, versatile piece of clothing

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon the particular area you are hunting and expected weather . If hunting with extremes of temperature and weather conditions at 12,000' you may need a different setup than Nevada high desert country vs Alaska! If rain is expected you may want a totally different setup?

If dealing with potential giant extremes layers are always nice. I like having a large selection to choose from. I use different combos of a jacket, shirts, vest, base layer, and rain jacket on most of my trips. I have several "jackets" to choose from. If I'm bringing a rain jacket I can possibly use a lighter jacket. Also a lighter jacket if I have base layer. If it's cold in the mornings at 12,000' I may use a little heavier jacket and unzip the front and pitzips when active or it warms up. Lots of different scenerios!

OP
F
Yes I am whitetail hunting the East. Mostly tree stand. Could be like high 40s in morning midday mid 60s then back to 40s at night

Not Vegan

FNG
Catalyst is my choice for that temp. I go Fuse or Furnace, then Klamath, then Cat.

Sammymusi

WKR
Kiln then sawtooth over .. I wore that jacket into the 40s with the right layering.. well not really a jacket but I love that piece

OP
F
So it looks like the catalyst , sawtooth and solitude are all good to 60 degrees.

seems the solitude would be the warmest if ever wanted to wear that in colder conditions as well

OP
F
I think I am between the catalyst and solitude. Anyone have both? Pros cons?

looks like neither are wind resistant though ?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting in the 40s with the catalyst should be fine. You’ll be hot moving in it though. Those are around bow season temps for Alaska and id go with a light under layer to wick sweat (UA 2.0, I don’t have merino so don’t know what weights are good), a breathable long sleeve shirt (flannel or flats fishing shirt) and the catalyst jacket. Once the sun hits it all starts coming off. I just like to protect my arms from devils club and spruce trees.