Early season hoody

Cargyle13

FNG
I’ve been looking at getting a new early season hoodie. Not set on one particular brand. Heard good things about the Sitka light weight core hoodie. Kryptek has their new Sonora hoodie and First Lite has the wick hoody. Kuiu has a 145 Merino hoodie but thinking more synthetic is what I’m wanting. Looking for something camo as well. Anyone have experience with these or suggestions?

Oregonboy

WKR
don't overlook this little guy, one of my favorite mid layers:

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the others, but my Sitka LW Core Hoody is my favorite and most used piece of clothing. Sun protection early season when it's still a little warmer but I also really like it when the temps start dropping as Sitka's midweight line is a little too warm when I'm actually moving.

KUIU Peleton 97. It's honestly my favorite thing KUIU makes. I've worn it down to 40 (I run naturally hot) when hiking the steep stuff with only an Ultra 125 baselayer underneath.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My hooded fleece is always in the pack no matter what time of year. Great for late summer and early fall as the warm top layer and a perfect mid layer for mid and late season. Dries out super quick as well.

I’ve tried just about all of them and my Swazi “The Hood” is absolutely as good as it gets when talking about a fleece mid layer in my opinion.

Doesn’t come in camo though (who cares).

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at getting a new early season hoodie. Not set on one particular brand. Heard good things about the Sitka light weight core hoodie. Kryptek has their new Sonora hoodie and First Lite has the wick hoody. Kuiu has a 145 Merino hoodie but thinking more synthetic is what I’m wanting. Looking for something camo as well. Anyone have experience with these or suggestions?
Love the hoodie and face mask on the Sitka core lightweight hoody. It is great when it’s hot to protect you from the sun and has the face mask which none of the others have. It’s a great base layer when it’s cold as well.

Hondo

WKR
Sitka Core LW Hoody stands out amongst the others in my experience. There is a reason why this is one of Sitka's biggest sellers and is rarely discounted. It's comfortable, feature rich and it works. The Polygiene silver chloride fabric treatment helps deter odors but odor will win out eventually so my recommendation for multi-day outings is to buy a spare so you can rotate.

The FL Wick Hoody is good for warm & dry (not hot and/or humid) conditions but lacks the features (deep chest zip, built-in face mask, chest pocket, well fitted hood, quick drying) that would make it competitive with the LW Core Hoody IMO. I wish that First Lite will do a remake of the Wick Hoody like they did with the Foundry Corrugate and Obsidian pants.

The Kuiu Gila Hoody also lacks many of the features of the LW Core Hoody and has an overly large hood that flaps in the wind like a hound dogs jowls in a wind tunnel. It's relatively inexpensive and works pretty well, particularly in direct sun though. If you go this route be sure to get the Gila gaiter.

Trial153

WKR
Just buy the core light weight and be done with it. You will use the hell out of it.

Tie dye (or sponge dye) an OR sun hoodie if you have to have camo. Given that it’s synthetic (stinky after half a day) you are going to want multiple backups.

Sounds expensive at $120 a pop for some recycled soda bottles.

KineKilla

WKR
Core LW Hoody is a great piece but you will stink if you even think about sweat.

Sitka really needs to do something about their chosen odor control treatment on their LW base layers. I think using their LW layers makes me stink way worse than nothing at all.

I can work all day in a regular shirt and not stink nearly as bad as wearing their lw bases even in cold weather with little to no sweating.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
Sitka Core Lightweight has the best functionality…the zipper is a must for me. No one makes a decent merino wool one that is light and has a zipper. The Kuiu 150 works good, but it is a little too thick. I wish Sitka made a merino version of the lightweight hoody, that would be the best.

KUIU Peleton 97. It's honestly my favorite thing KUIU makes. I've worn it down to 40 (I run naturally hot) when hiking the steep stuff with only an Ultra 125 baselayer underneath.
+1

I wear my 97 from the teens to 80º, it’s the one piece of gear that never gets left behind.