early season Rain gear

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
So I just received my Badlands exo pants in the mail and although I think they are great pants they don't fit. I'm 5'7 147 lbs. And I ordered the smallest size they make which is a medium. And they are too big on the waist and too baggy on the legs. I really would love to find a full zip rain pants that was somewat fitted for early season because they just need to fit over soome light early season pants but I could fit several layers of pants under these What are u guys running for early season. And what do all the small guys like me buy????

I think for the most part, rain gear is intentionally made and designed for a loose fit. If you can find someplace to try some Sitka on, it always runs small. I normally wear an XL, but in Sitka, I need 2x, raingear included. If you want tight fit, Sitka might be what you seek.

mlgc20

WKR
Obviously, it depends where I am. But, most of the time I don't even carry rain pants in the early season. Usually, my jacket and gaiters will do most of what I need for early season rain protection.

Rain pants are usually pretty loose to go over your other gear. Cheap light alternative is Cabela's space rain pants. I only put my rain pants on in real bad weather.

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone just run a cheap, throw-away plastic poncho? Obviously you wouldn't be bushwhacking in it but it seems like it'd allow you to sit through brief showers.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
From early spring to late fall I like Marmot Precip pants. I have the jacket and would run that too but it's a fuggly blue color. If i remember right, the pants weight something like 9oz so they never leave my pack.

I take a Cabela's Space Rain jacket and pants on my archery elk hunts. It's not especially durable and won't stand up to much abuse, but it's lightweight and fairly inexpensive. Where I hunt, rain generally just comes in brief afternoon showers that rarely last more than an hour, so I usually just suit up, sit tight, and wait it out. I'm a small guy too (5'8" 130 lbs), and the size small fits me pretty well.

akrem44

FNG
I can second the Sitka cloudburst. I use them for my early season archery deer hunts and with a good layering system you should have no problem. On the size thing i have noticed for me sitka runs a little on the smaller size so take that for what it is worth. Hope this helps.

CO-AJ

WKR
I did the Marmot Minimalist rain jacket which is awesome, and i found some mountain hardware pants on the rack at Sierra Trading for around 60% off. I have not used the pants yet, but like many others would only bother to drag them out if was a torrential downpour.