Early season system building for elk and deer hunts!!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are many systems through Sitka's line up to get overwhelmed with but here is a couple things we love to use and why! Starting out these pants would be the Ascent pant or Apex pant both pants are very lightweight and dry fast, we are all a big fan of those two pants. Next would be the Ascent shirt and your core lightweight items, hoody or lightweight long sleeve or short sleeve great items extremely lightweight and breathable. A big problem for all of us, is hiking and trying to keep the sweat to a minimum. These shirts and pants make it happen. Another big thing is what core pieces to run, and that is all depending on how your body type is. If you run hot stay with the lightweight system, if you get cold look into the core mid or heavy weight system cores. Pants..... if you run cold look into the mountain pants, the timberline pants are a little to warm for the early season. Another great piece to have is the Jetstream jacket, full Gore Windstopper and highly water resistant as well. If you start to heat up it has the pit zips to open up and air out to let you cool off. This jacket is a must in the line up, great for early and later seasons. As for gloves, I am not to big on being a glove guy but I do bring the mountain gloves with me specifically for using them to glass. They are full Gore Windstopper with a fleece lined on the inside to have a little bit of a insulation for your hands along with a DWR finish to shed water. Last I run the Stormfront gaiters, I always have them early, mid, and late season. Big thing is the early morning residue on the grass, they will shed the water huge, and they are extremely comfortable and you never know they are even on. The other big thing is ticks, yes THE TICKS. I have had a few crawl up my pant leg and make it to close for comfort to the BOYS!!! Now many of you will say well what about rain gear, what about a puffy, all of those kinds of questions I will get. I'm not saying you don't need them, because you may for the state you hunt in, or how the weather may be. I am just going off of my main KEY item's I will use over and over for years and what will work for you in your conditions or states you may tend to hunt. So that being said, that is what we all run in the early season for elk and mule deer. There is no right or wrong to your system but this will help you get a great idea on what to look for in the future or what you may have now to use to know that your DOING IT RIGHT!! Let me know what your guys and gals thoughts are, and what you feel works for you in your Sitka line up for early season.

Last edited: