Early Sept CO Raingear Needs

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be a pack mule for buddy in CO in Zirkel Wilderness the first week of Sept. 7-8 days in backcountry. I’ve only been out west for late season rifle hunts in wester WY and Montana and don’t know what to expect weather wise for CO the first week of Sept. Looks like it can be 80 or snowing.

What kind of raingear would folks recommend? Obviously would like a lite set but also want to hold up to beetle kill and deadfall mazes. I currently have a Cabelas Space Jacket/pants and also have a Stormfront Jacket and Cloudburst pants combo (got in awesome trade). Do I go light and take my chances or go heavy? If I go heavy then I can forgo one of my other pieces and just use rain gear instead.

I’ll have both at trailhead and will obviously be checking the weather before hitting the trail but would like some input from folks who live/hunt the area on what unexpected weather can show up and cause serious issues. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience hunting Colorado in September (mostly in the White River NF not too far southwest of where you'll be), afternoon rain showers are common but usually brief. Rarely has it set in and rained on me for multiple hours. I usually just sit down and wait out the rain instead of trying to hike/hunt in it. Hunkering down under a tree generally keeps me dry enough, but I do carry a Cabela's Space Rain set to pull out if needed.

Jaquomo

WKR
Space Rain is always in my pack. Temps can drop 30+ degrees in minutes in the CO mountains when a hailstorm rolls in. Wet doesn't bother me, but hypothermia is a very real thing out here. Also know that you can leave camp in sunshine and return in a snowstorm in September.

Generally I don’t pack rain gear if I am packing my synthetic puffy. Unless the forecast is for lots of rain. Hasn’t burned me yet.

Definitely light. Yes it can get cold and major storms can roll through, but that is the exception not the rule.

Archery season in CO is usually dry and hot.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I got lucky and just some intermittent rain showers around that time frame in Colorado. Nothing bad; knock on wood.

I keep a KUIU Chugach set in my pack just in case.

Agree with others .take some light rain gear. Works great for an extra layer for breaking the wind while glassing too.

tracker12

WKR
I have hunted Co since the early 80's and rain has not ever been a problem for me. I carry a packable Orvis packable rain jacket (MY FISHING WEAR) and LW REI pants. That has always got me by.

Last edited:

BDRam16

WKR
Wonder if you guys would all say the same thing for the last week of September?

Don't even worry about rain pants. I'd throw a light rain jacket in, but there's a decent chance you won't touch it.

I've hunted the area you're hunting all throughout September, and into first rifle season many times.

OP
Oilfieldmiller

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the quality feedback folks. Seems there is decent consensus for early Sept. I’ll still watch the forecast but really appreciate the advice.

OP
Oilfieldmiller

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the quality feedback folks. Seems there is decent consensus for early Sept. I’ll still watch the forecast but really appreciate the advice.

bbkick25

FNG
One year out of 7 was wet and it was worth every step of carrying it that whole time. It’s hard to get things dry once they get wet on a mountain.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I rarely use rain gear during archery season. As was stated, for most storms that time of year they pass quickly so hunkering down is all that's needed. In 2013 it rained so much that I still didn't use any rain gear because I was wet either way.......with rain or sweat. That year was a late monsoon with rain every day for two weeks straight. Great hunting, but wet, wet, wet.

BigLou

FNG
would be curious to hear opinions on how the cabela's space rain compares with the light, cheap version of frogg toggs?

Jaquomo

WKR
Two years ago it snowed 12-16" in N.CO and S. WY on September 8-9. There were 50-80 mph winds along with it, roads drifted in, big trees down across roads. A group of us chained up and sawed our way out on the county road. Others were stuck in ditches.

I've bowhunted and guided in that region for 50 years, and at least one snowstorm during September is more the norm than the exception. Hailstorms with rapid temperature drops aren't uncommon. If it doesn't, great. But being prepared is critical.

That year I watched several unprepared nonresident Sitka Assault Teams of soggy, freezing bowhunters trudge back down to the trailhead with serious WTF looks on their faces. Then they discovered all the motel rooms in Walden were occupied, so no place to warm up besides the cabs of their trucks. One Wisconsin attack squad ended up driving to Laramie for a motel for a couple days until everything melted.

Last edited:
would be curious to hear opinions on how the cabela's space rain compares with the light, cheap version of frogg toggs?
Works fine as long as you're using it for "passer by storms". I pack it as it weighs nothing.

We have this thing called weather underground (just kidding) just look to see the long range forecast going in. Clear bluebird CO September, Frogg Toggs without question. Maybe just the top. Week of weather hardcore stuff, the Helly Hansens are with me.

There is a big difference between afternoon rain/hail where many times you can get under a tree and let the storm pass vs big storms that come through an snow a foot or two. Don't forget, this is Colorado, not Alaska. You can always just walk to the truck.