Early Sept vs Late Sept - Western Arctic Herd 23/26A

As far as cots go, I’ll agree with Doc and say that a cot can definitely be a game changer. I also have a Helinox (mine weighs 44.2 oz. in the bag), but I’ve only used it on one backpack hunt, and the more I think about it, I think that’s going to change. Regarding the dates of your hunt, I would suggest trying to kill something sooner rather than later. I wouldn’t normally recommend that, but I’ve seen (actually smelled), what the rut can do to caribou meat, and it’s not good. That said, although I think your dates might be starting to push it, they’re still most likely ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
My cot was originally bought for use from a boat or UTV. It’s the Thermarest XL mesh cot. That Helinox is a lot lighter.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Most transporters require a 50% deposit. Basically every transporter out of Kotzebue requires 50% or close to it upon booking. Transporters range from roughly $3k-$6k.

So.........what happens if the caribou are gone in two years.........again just curious how this works.
Also is the deposit held in a special "Escrow" type account, or just go into current income for the transporters 2021 business operation.

OP
Brick

Brick

FNG
So.........what happens if the caribou are gone in two years.........again just curious how this works.
Also is the deposit held in a special "Escrow" type account, or just go into current income for the transporters 2021 business operation.
We would be screwed lol. As far as an escrow account, no. It's that guys money now.

Is there a reason you booked for 2023 and not 2022?
My friend and I were going to call and book a 2022 hunt this week. I stumbled across this thread while trying to decide on boots. I was looking at the Kenetrex Mountain Extreme 400 of the Zamberland 1005 Hunter Pro EVO GTX RR WL insulated.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason you booked for 2023 and not 2022?
My friend and I were going to call and book a 2022 hunt this week. I stumbled across this thread while trying to decide on boots. I was looking at the Kenetrex Mountain Extreme 400 of the Zamberland 1005 Hunter Pro EVO GTX RR WL insulated.
Probably because 2022 is mostly, if not all booked up or reserved by now. I locked up a hunt for 2022 earlier this year and most spots were already sewn up. Covid restrictions and lockdowns last year, and the word getting out on DIY Caribou via AK, has increased demand like crazy.