Early September Mountain Sleep System

Dust1n

FNG
I plan on doing my first DUI BH Sheep Hunt in early September in Alberta.
I was wondering what everyone is running for a weight conscious sleep system.

I’m currently running;
Tent: MSR NX1 2lbs
Sleeping Bag: Mountain Hardware Bozeman Torch 0F 3lbs 15oz
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Scout Pad 1.5lbs

I would like to upgrade my sleeping bag to a 15F Bag and a lighter Pad with a higher R Value and cushion.

Gear I’m looking into;
Sleeping Bag;
Sea to Summit Trekii 15F
Mountain Hardware Rook 15F
Marmot Sawtooth 15F

Sleeping Pad;
Neoair Xtherm
Neoair XLite
Neoair Prolite

I’m open to other ideas but I would like some budget ideas that will not let me.

The Xtherm pad is the way to go. I did not imagine that a pad would actually reflect as much heat back to me as it does. I use it with a 30 degree quilt into October in Alaska.

skierhs

WKR
Unfortunately, I have had bad experiences with budget sleep systems which has swayed my opinion on what I am willing to suggest. I'll just give you my opinion overall and bounce the thread to the top.

I’ll give you my set up but be warned, I don’t care about the weight. I run a western mountaineering antelope 5-degree bag. It’s extremely light weight, warm, and it can practically get me through the entire hunting season (August through December). It’s not very roomy but I wasn’t looking for that. I wanted a light and warm bag that packs small and that will let me survive for what I normally throw at it. For my sleeping pad I use a BA Q-Core. It isn’t self-inflating; I use the dry sack as a pump which negates most of the lack thereof self-inflating issues. It provides plenty of insulation and loft so I sleep without hitting rocks or anything. For my tent, it depends. I run a Hilgenberg nallow GT, kifaru 8 man tipi, and a old lightweight marmot. I almost exclusively run the nallow GT or 8-man. I have been looking at a freestanding Hilgenberg for one or two people to replace the marmot. The Marmot isn’t built like I need for camping on exposed ridges/peaks above tree line and /I have yet to fill the free-standing niche in my arsenal.

I use plenty of sea to summit products but caution you away from the Trek line if they have not changed the materials in the last 5 years or so. The bag (TK III) was extremely water repellent but at the cost of breathability. I would wake up wet because any perspiration would not escape the bag and was trapped in there. I switched from that bag to the antelope and never looked back. If you want, look at the Apache for a 15-degree bag at 2lbs. For comparison, the antelope weighs 2lbs and 7oz for a 5-degree bag. All these weights are for a 6ft bag.

Being how you are a canadian check out taiga bags made in vancouver bc. I just picked up a bag from them and although it will be a couple weeks before I use it, it oozes quality in its initial impression

I prefer the higher r value pads as well and use xtherm but give strong consideration first to your size and how you sleep. For example some pads don’t come in long or wide or both. If you move around a lot I would go for a rectangle shaped pad.

For bag same as above plus think about what side of the bag you like your zipper.

OP
Dust1n

Dust1n

FNG
I decided to go with the Therm-a-Rest Parsec 20F/-6C paired with the Klymit insulated Pad
i will order a liner before the Hunt just in case but I think this will be sufficient