Easiest Non-treestand Starter Hunt?

What's the easier of the big game species to start trad hunting?

• Total voters
For your Friday musing, I am curious on your thoughts...what do you think is the easier of the big game critters to get killed with a trad bow?

I've been kicking around getting into trad so just wanted to fuel the fire with a fun little discussion. I really enjoy the exercise that comes with western hunting so for the purposes of this conversation, I'm saying no treestand or bait hunting allowed (looking at you whitetail fanatics and black bear baiters). Have at it and have a great weekend! 😉

Why would you limit the three best options of tree stand whitetail and black bear bait and waterhole antelope ?? trad is tough enough, but a young muley spot and stalk shouldn't be too hard.

Montyb

FNG
Go hunt some wild pigs
I agree. I think the first animal I killed with trad was either a javelin or squirrel. That was a looong time ago! I said whitetail because it is available in every state, but pig hunting is a great intro and great practice stalking.

LostArra

WKR
I would never put the word "easiest" in the same sentence as ground hunting whitetail deer, especially mature bucks. I have not seen the rut make them as careless as elk.

Ahutch

FNG
Having never hunted out west, my opinion is obviously skewed. But! I would have to say pigs!

Hutch

OP
Jaden Bales
Why would you limit the three best options of tree stand whitetail and black bear bait and waterhole antelope ?? trad is tough enough, but a young muley spot and stalk shouldn't be too hard.
Because I’m young, dumb, and have time on my hands to blow stalks. 😉

Good input! Personally was leaning that way. Shot my first Muley buck with my wheel bow at 18 yards off a cliff. Guys like South Cox make that seem like a way to make it happen fairly consistently.

OP
Jaden Bales
Having never hunted out west, my opinion is obviously skewed. But! I would have to say pigs!

Hutch
That’s a good suggestion! My best buddy lives in Hawaii and has been after the pigs. Now you got me thinking...

OP
Jaden Bales
I would never put the word "easiest" in the same sentence as ground hunting whitetail deer, especially mature bucks. I have not seen the rut make them as careless as elk.
Man, a nice dumb bull mid-Sept does seem like a possibility. Good to know to strike the Whitey game. Haha.

For your Friday musing, I am curious on your thoughts...what do you think is the easier of the big game critters to get killed with a trad bow?

I've been kicking around getting into trad so just wanted to fuel the fire with a fun little discussion. I really enjoy the exercise that comes with western hunting so for the purposes of this conversation, I'm saying no treestand or bait hunting allowed (looking at you whitetail fanatics and black bear baiters). Have at it and have a great weekend! 😉
I been hunting with Trad for 30 years and I would says Whitetails just because of the higher population in most areas. Getting into trad you want a lot of opportunities. PM me if you want ant trad info. Terry

Steadman

WKR
First off if you think baiting bears is easy, you've probably never done it. That being said all the animals you've listed are easy and hard. It took me 26 years to kill a bull elk, but have killed three antelope by spot and stalk on three tags. I know other guys who are the opposite. If you think hunting Muleys is easy because of South, you need to think about it more realistically. South has hunted mule deer for thirty years or so and puts in over 18 days a year chasing them. That experience makes it look "easy"
Pick the animal that has the most opportunity and go hunt. If you're doing it with a trad bow, don't be disappointed if you don't fill a tag right away, but it could happen first time. Bottom line, go hunt, have fun and try to learn. Good luck!!

OP
Jaden Bales
First off if you think baiting bears is easy, you've probably never done it. That being said all the animals you've listed are easy and hard. It took me 26 years to kill a bull elk, but have killed three antelope by spot and stalk on three tags. I know other guys who are the opposite. If you think hunting Muleys is easy because of South, you need to think about it more realistically. South has hunted mule deer for thirty years or so and puts in over 18 days a year chasing them. That experience makes it look "easy"
Pick the animal that has the most opportunity and go hunt. If you're doing it with a trad bow, don't be disappointed if you don't fill a tag right away, but it could happen first time. Bottom line, go hunt, have fun and try to learn. Good luck!!
Hey brotha! Sorry to insinuate any of what you assumed there. I've done a little bear-baiting and been around it a bunch - I really like it and think it's a great way to kill the right bears (older boars) let alone a great way to get close for archery. I just have ants in my pants and like to hike around and spot and stalk. I've killed a bear, deer, elk, and speedgoat with my compound without sitting in a blind or treestand - it's just the way I like to roll is all.

Couldn't agree with you more! Just going hunting is the best teacher and I really just need to pull the trigger on a bow and get to it instead of all this hymming and haaaing. Thanks for your input!

OP
Jaden Bales
I been hunting with Trad for 30 years and I would says Whitetails just because of the higher population in most areas. Getting into trad you want a lot of opportunities. PM me if you want ant trad info. Terry
Thanks Terry! I absolutely will. 👊