Easiest to tune broad head

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Long story short I’m not the archery wiz that many of you are. Got my bow setup by a pro pre virus that did a great job. Shoot true with field points. Want to switch from mechanicals (ik ik they are horrible, had a failure never again) to a fixed blade broadhead.

now the options are endless, I’m looking for a 125-150 grain fixedhead that is the easiest to tune. Any recommendations? I’ve had problems tuning in the past and that’s why I used mechanicals but I lost a whitetail and I’m definitely not taking that chance on an elk

Several I found easy to tune in no particular order- Exodus swept blades, wackem, iron will solids, Strickland helix, and slick trick.

I would probably say to stay away from 150 grain. Going to be hard to find broadheads if you get in a pinch. Better off to use a heavier insert or weights in your insert if you must have the weight up front

The Exodus full blades were definitely a bit touchy, fair amount of difference from the swept for me. Didn't have very good luck with nap thunderheads, or muzzy's.

Felt like I should edit this to say this is tuning at high velocity. 295+ and sometimes 300+. Some broadheads spin better than others, you get to that speed and straightness is critical.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Kudupoints. Never had to tune them. Flew with the FP;s from jump. The bow was tuned though before I tried them.

Had good luck w/ Slicktricks. The short compact heads generally fly better. The other heads recommended above I'm sure will also work well. Make sure you've paper tuned/bare shaft tuned as this will take away some of the screwing around with BHs.

Zac

WKR
All the above heads are good, I would also add Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blades.

Beendare

WKR
Small and/or short........makes a BH easier to tune....(less out in front to steer)

That doesn't make for the best BH though.

If you develop even a modicum of skill, its not hard to tune the bad ass big steel BH's.

_____

Zac

WKR
I've had good luck lipstick tuning. You shoot your broadhead through paper with lipstick on the vanes. Perform this at 21 feet, I'll show an example.

Attachments

• 20200617_164745.jpg
    20200617_164745.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 81
I would skip the 150's maybe as the BH options out there are fairly limited, 125's not so bad, but honestly if you upgrade to a heavier insert your better off to just run a 100gn head. Most of the heads mentioned are excellent choices and are plenty durable in 100 grain form. Never really mentioned your exact bow setup but if you and your bow are in good tune most any head will tune up fine. Assuming a properly spined arrow and an arrow speed that's in the 280's or less. At 290 fps and up things tend to get a bit more touch and go especially once 300 fps is broke. This is where the smallest of heads, slick tricks, iron will, start to shine. Make sure to use a decent sized vane as well and you shouldn't have to many issues.

stonewall

WKR
Whatever bh you use, Match the weight of your current field points. I’m inferring from your post you’re wanting to go up weight and that would of course change your set up (maybe I read it wrong)

TravisIN

WKR
Small and/or short........makes a BH easier to tune....(less out in front to steer)

That doesn't make for the best BH though.

If you develop even a modicum of skill, its not hard to tune the bad ass big steel BH's.

_____

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Bareshaft nock tune your arrows to fly with your fletched arrows at 15-20 yards and you can shoot any broadhead you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eltaco

WKR
A lot of good advice has already been given here.

Assuming your bow is tuned (and there are a number of ways to verify this, I choose to shoot thru paper):
Short broadheads are definitely the ticket. A long broadhead has a couple of issues - mass distribution places the weight further forward than your field point, so the FP arrow and BH arrow tune slightly different - and any straightness concern for the head is magnified when it’s a longer broadhead. Short and straight will yield a BH that tunes with FPS

There are too many to list, but I prefer QAD swept blades. They’re short, straight, large cut (for a fixed head), and thick blades. I’ve put down a number of elk and deer with them and haven’t encountered any issue with flight, pass thru, or durability.

Elk97

WKR
Tooth of the Arrow BH's fly great for me, right with my FPs. Both the standard and XL heads, and they are one of the toughest heads available.