East coast hunting (SC area)

Dunndm

WKR
Me and my fiancé are over the high taxes and the constant liberal presence of CA. So we are deciding to move to either Tennessee or South Carolina. I had a post already of Tennessee and wanted to see what people had to say about it and got a lot of valuable information.

So now, I’m going to do the same thing for South Carolina. Closer our move date gets more and more we try and fixate on where we want to go. I’m looking at this from a hunting/living situation. Either place we go we both have a job that pays realistically the same. So that’s not the problem.

So my thoughts are: how’s the hunting/fishing out in SC, and how’s the overall living out there?

PS: we will be moving near Hilton head area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Fishing is good in HH, but no hunting to speak of besides ducks. I dont count ducks. lol

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Fishing is good in HH, but no hunting to speak of besides ducks. I dont count ducks. lol

I mean just in gernal in the Carolinas, or even if I have to drive a bit

I lived in NC for a few years. Right on the coast. Fishing is great all year. Hunting in that area meant you needed money, and lots of it to hunt private. And the public was full of people. Some good hunting could be found but you had to work for it. Both my cousins lived in SC at the time and said the same applied down there. One in Charleston, one in Beaufort.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have never hunted SC, but have researched it a bit. they have one of the earliest deer seasons in the east, people routinely go there for a chance at a "velvet" buck if that's your bag. The deer aren't gonna be huge, probably bigger bucks in tennessee.

South Carolina in places have alot of wild boar if your interested in that as well, plus your an easy drive to Georgia which is ate up with them too.

With the pigs and waterfowl, and potential ocean fishing based on where your moving, i think south carolina offers a better variety of wildlife to pursue. But i think tennessee will have slightly bigger bucks and maybe bear depending on where your moving.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I have never hunted SC, but have researched it a bit. they have one of the earliest deer seasons in the east, people routinely go there for a chance at a "velvet" buck if that's your bag. The deer aren't gonna be huge, probably bigger bucks in tennessee.

South Carolina in places have alot of wild boar if your interested in that as well, plus your an easy drive to Georgia which is ate up with them too.

With the pigs and waterfowl, and potential ocean fishing based on where your moving, i think south carolina offers a better variety of wildlife to pursue. But i think tennessee will have slightly bigger bucks and maybe bear depending on where your moving.

Did they ever go west more, into different stares to hunt? I’ve heard it’s pretty rough hunting in SC from people beside you... which sucks to hear haha

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Did they ever go west more, into different stares to hunt? I’ve heard it’s pretty rough hunting in SC from people beside you... which sucks to hear haha

Did who go west more?? r u replying to me or to the guy talking about his buddies lol

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR

Totally replied to the wrong guy. But honestly, I like to hunt to eat. So deer, pig and fish to me is an ideal diet. I do... a tiny bit of duck hunting... but sitting in a duck blind makes me go crazy haha.
This is good info though.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I lived in NC for a few years. Right on the coast. Fishing is great all year. Hunting in that area meant you needed money, and lots of it to hunt private. And the public was full of people. Some good hunting could be found but you had to work for it. Both my cousins lived in SC at the time and said the same applied down there. One in Charleston, one in Beaufort.

That’s sorta what I figured. I mean I won’t be doing a lot private hunting just because I don’t like to spend money on hunts on closed fences to much.
Did they ever travel to other state’s and say anything was good or bad? Or you for that matter

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
i have hunted north carolina and georgia, both states you could drive to easily from SC, if u have plenty of time off most of the eastern states are OTC big game tags for example in virginia when i buy my hunting license i can kill 3 bucks and 3 does, i would imagine SC is more or less the same or maybe more, and i know georgia and NC are the same, so if u had the time, you could really stack the deer between two states etc. and have your "ideal diet" by killing somewhere near 10 deer lol

16Bore

WKR
You’ll have to pass the Southern Entrance Exam:

1. How many Yankees does it take to change a tire?

2. True or False. “There’s no such thing unsweetened tea”

3. Write this in longhand:
MR ducks
MR not
OSAR
CM wangs
LIB MR ducks

4. Is real BBQ made from beef or pork?

5. What is the plural of “ya’ll”?

6. Finish this sentence:
Frankly my dear ______________ .

7. If a waitress says “sure honey”, she:
A. Likes you.
B. Is speaking about bee excrement.
C. Was born in the south.
D. Being a smart ass.

8. What’s the difference between a “crick” and a “creek”?

9. Describe Bonnie Blue

10. What first name is forbidden for a male child?

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Oh jeeze... I think I’d get about a 50% on that test... 60% when I start drinking a little

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
i have hunted north carolina and georgia, both states you could drive to easily from SC, if u have plenty of time off most of the eastern states are OTC big game tags for example in virginia when i buy my hunting license i can kill 3 bucks and 3 does, i would imagine SC is more or less the same or maybe more, and i know georgia and NC are the same, so if u had the time, you could really stack the deer between two states etc. and have your "ideal diet" by killing somewhere near 10 deer lol

That’s more deer that I’d want or need hahah 2-3 deer a year would be more than enough. I mean it sounds like there is plenty of opportunity if I drive a little. Right now I drive 6-8 hours just to see 2-4 deer and hope to get a poke at one with my bow.

Jauwater

WKR
I live in NC and I think the hunting and fishing is great. There are white tail and black bear all over the place, not always easy to find. Trout fishing can be good at times of the year. The Carolina coast is beautiful with all kinds of fishing, and places to explore. Now the population is what gets me, but you being from Cali that might not be that bad. In SC there are plenty of places to get away from people. I stay more in the mountains then I do the coast, but you can reach the mountains pretty easy through I-26(I believe). According to where you are looking. The Rock Hill, Tega Cay, Fort Mill area is nice with Charlotte near by, but traffic can be nuts. I stayed on a farm for a few months years ago near Kiawah Island, which I though was gorgeous out there. Charleston can be nice, but dirty too. Taxes are low I'm told.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
born a raised NC here. Public land hunt quite a bit in national forest. Lots of opportunity for successful hunts. and very few hunters ( except for bears) Game lands can be crazy though. Coastal fishing is On the decline in NC , and sc is next due do CRAZY commercial biased fishing regs in NC. People are flocking to SC now to fish from NC because of limits and sizes. Fishing in the tva lakes in east TN are really good. Marion Morgantown area may be worth looking into. Just curious have you ever experienced chewing the air before you inhale it? Bc you have to in the low country......95 degrees, 75% humidity 4 months a year

Oregon

WKR
S.C. has 3 animals that are considered good hunting. Deer, hog, Turkey. All require at a minimum $1500 lease fee. Where you will hunt with 10-30 other members. Good leases are $3000 and goes up substantially.
Deer are thick as fleas. Good bucks 140” are not very common. A 125” will probably get taken to the Taxi man by a lot of S.C. hunters.
waterfowling is awful.
bugs, snakes and humidity are beyond horrible.
Cost of living low, crime high. Food fantastic.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
born a raised NC here. Public land hunt quite a bit in national forest. Lots of opportunity for successful hunts. and very few hunters ( except for bears) Game lands can be crazy though. Coastal fishing is On the decline in NC , and sc is next due do CRAZY commercial biased fishing regs in NC. People are flocking to SC now to fish from NC because of limits and sizes. Fishing in the tva lakes in east TN are really good. Marion Morgantown area may be worth looking into. Just curious have you ever experienced chewing the air before you inhale it? Bc you have to in the low country......95 degrees, 75% humidity 4 months a year

I do a surf trip once a year to Costa Rica so I know the chewing before swallowing hahah it can be rough at times but it’s not a deal breaker for me.
I do more lake fishing than ocean fishing cause I get sick pretty easily. It sounds like it’s a good place to go if you want to get after it and aren’t lazy