East coast hunting (SC area)

There is a 8-15 all weapons opener for deer in southern half of the state so you have good chance a velvet whitetail. Hunting them in velvet may be a sweaty/bug/snake/gator infested adventure but a couple thermacells, one for back up although I have been to known to run duals in the swamp, and a couple of frozen water bottles to stick in your arm pits while sitting on stand and its managable. Some people think it's crazy to hunt when its 95...I guess

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
There is a 8-1 all weapons opener for deer in southern half of the state so you have good chance a velvet whitetail. Hunting them in velvet may be a sweaty/bug/snake/gator infested adventure but a couple thermacells, one for back up although I have been to known to run duals in the swamp, and a couple of frozen water bottles to stick in your arm pits while sitting on stand and its managable.

There’s an early season here too that’s getting warmer and warmer last season was a good 110-112 hiking through the hills. I know it’s different with humidity and all. But I’ve been in hot/uncomfortable a few times haha I mean it seems like the only big difference hunting wise is humidity for the most part.
I’m just ready to slow down my way of life and start a family in the next couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m excited to move, I’m not moving into the island I want to be just close ish to it. Within 30min. Any areas you’d recommend looking at for houses? I’ll be going there hopefully in August to look for homes

Bluffton and Okatie are probably the two "towns" I'd stick near if you want any kind of amenity or stores nearby.
As far as which neighborhoods, that really depends on your budget. There is quite literally million dollar homes within spitting distance of 100k townhomes. If money is no concern and you want amenities, then palmetto bluff is the spot.

I'd highly recommend getting a realtor. Considering the distance you're traveling.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Bluffton and Okatie are probably the two "towns" I'd stick near if you want any kind of amenity or stores nearby.
As far as which neighborhoods, that really depends on your budget. There is quite literally million dollar homes within spitting distance of 100k townhomes. If money is no concern and you want amenities, then palmetto bluff is the spot.

I'd highly recommend getting a realtor. Considering the distance you're traveling.

I was planning on giving a few of the bigger firms a call about a month ahead of time to see what they could get within my price range. Trying to find something around 600k or lower would be ideal. I’m a contractor so something that’s sorta run down, but in a nice neighborhood is ideally what I’ll be looking for. The goal is for me to move out about 1-2 months before my wife so I can do some renovations before she gets out there

Wellsdw

WKR
600k you could live on a lake, walk down to your dock and jump in you boat and fish. When you got bored that afternoon, walk up the rd and hit the national forest... if you choose the right lake.

I was planning on giving a few of the bigger firms a call about a month ahead of time to see what they could get within my price range. Trying to find something around 600k or lower would be ideal. I’m a contractor so something that’s sorta run down, but in a nice neighborhood is ideally what I’ll be looking for. The goal is for me to move out about 1-2 months before my wife so I can do some renovations before she gets out there

I would take a look at the rose hill area. Some older homes but larger lots. Had a friend that lived in there, his home had great "bones" but needed to brought up a decade or two. Good Luck!

600k you could live on a lake, walk down to your dock and jump in you boat and fish. When you got bored that afternoon, walk up the rd and hit the national forest... if you choose the right lake.

I second this idea as well. If you want to get slightly further out, for 600 you could find a real nice piece of property.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I second this idea as well. If you want to get slightly further out, for 600 you could find a real nice piece of property.

I personally don’t want to be in the “city” or right next to a “town” my ideal situation would be 20 min from a town and 20 min from a bigger city like Hilton head. Damn, I didn’t know 600 bought that much out there. Everything I see on Zillow is 3 bed 2 bath and about 2 acre town home sorta thing. I’m looking at the wrong stuff.

I personally don’t want to be in the “city” or right next to a “town” my ideal situation would be 20 min from a town and 20 min from a bigger city like Hilton head. Damn, I didn’t know 600 bought that much out there. Everything I see on Zillow is 3 bed 2 bath and about 2 acre town home sorta thing. I’m looking at the wrong stuff.

4 Wild Magnolia Lane

6 Acres outside Beaufort SC

5 Acres Beaufort SC

That's why I would get a realtor around there. I personally know of 3 people that found properties around bluffton area that were never on zillow etc.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
4 Wild Magnolia Lane

5 Acres Beaufort SC

That's why I would get a realtor around there. I personally know of 3 people that found properties around bluffton area that were never on zillow etc.

4 Wild Magnolia Lane

5 Acres Beaufort SC

Yeah that’s real estate, the best stuff never comes on the market and it always goes to either friends or family hahah

That second house is exactly what I’m looking for, well same kinda style. News a few touch ups but nothing that’s crazy.

Anyone know an agent? Hahah

FLS

WKR
If you don’t mind less amenities, you can make your money go a helluva lot farther. Rural SC is inexpensive. I have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store, but I can literally walk out my back door and shoot a deer.
I wouldn’t touch Okatie or Bluffton with a ten foot pole.
For that kind of money you can buy a few acres and a house out in the sticks. Piss in your front yard if you like. Those communities are full of the exact same shit you’re trying to escape. NOBODY there is from SC. Some HOA nazi will tell you you can’t park your boat in your yard. That is NOT SC. That’s a prefab yankee infested hellhole. You might as well stay where you are. Same bullshit, different zip code.
Beaufort is much better. Different mindset, different everything.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
If you don’t mind less amenities, you can make your money go a helluva lot farther. Rural SC is inexpensive. I have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store, but I can literally walk out my back door and shoot a deer.
I wouldn’t touch Okatie or Bluffton with a ten foot pole.
For that kind of money you can buy a few acres and a house out in the sticks. Piss in your front yard if you like. Those communities are full of the exact same shit you’re trying to escape. NOBODY there is from SC. Some HOA nazi will tell you you can’t park your boat in your yard. That is NOT SC. That’s a prefab yankee infested hellhole. You might as well stay where you are. Same bullshit, different zip code.
Beaufort is much better. Different mindset, different everything.

I’ll look into Beaufort then, I don’t want an HOA or any sorta of people “telling me what I can and can’t do”. That’s not for me, I want something that I can drive 20 min in any direction to do what I want to do.

I do want to have a place though to bring my kids and family to, or have a few beers at the local watering hole that’s not super far and there is a night life... I’m asking a lot I know haha

Look for houses built in the 90s...I have found they usually have 1+ acre lots no HOA and need a little work. That's what I did 10 years ago. We spent 2 months remodeling before we move in. Good bones just need finishes updated.
A few "prefab yankee infeasted hellholes" have pop up around me in the last 5 yrs..500k house on .75 acre or less. It's done nothing but driven up the value of my property so if you dont mind the increased traffic it can be a positive thing.

Also in SC basements, finished or unfinished, are not included in your sq ft so you dont pay taxes on them. My taxes are based on 3200 sq ft ranch, even though my house has a fully finished basement the same size as the 1st floor complete with HVAC, 2 more bedrooms, office, bathroom and my work shop/gear room. Great way to get that extra gear space I mentioned earlier on the cheap.

pete

Lil-Rokslider
I spent five years living in SC and it was great. I won't repeat what has already been said, except listen to those telling you to avoid HOAs. I heard some ridiculous stories from co-workers while I was there. Stupid stuff like not being able to have a basketball hoop in the driveway for your kids. And they're almost always run by people with nothing else to do and a desire to control other people.

Live in NC and grew up hunting SC public land in game zone 2 mainly, still do. Hardly run into anyone on public anymore where we hunt since everyone thinks they need to be in a club. Last year I only hunted 4 days down there and could have filled my 2 buck tags if I wanted to but I passed up smaller bucks since I already had a freezer full of elk and knew I’d have at least one Nebraska deer going in the freezer come a November. Could have also filled doe tags if I had bought any. My dad usually kills a buck he’ll mount every year or every other year down there, my grandpa used to do the same but he’s been in a long dry spell (still getting after it at 80 though). That is usually an 8 pt in the 110” range, his last one two years ago was a main frame 10 point with with sticker points and probably in the gross 120” range. Those are good public land bucks down here and occasionally we’ll see bigger or someone in our camp will shoot one bigger.

Pigs are about all over now but the only spot we hunt currently that we run into them is this spot we muzzleloader hunt around Lake Marion. I couldn’t get what looked like a 100-150 lb one last year to stop as it was going through the marsh otherwise I’d have some pork in the freezer now too. I did shoot a big boar down there a few years ago in the 250-300 lb range. All that said, I think the hunting on public is good down there and gets way less pressure than the public spots I hunt in NC outside of the mountains. That’s probably a product of the lower population and only a few “big” cities when comparing the two states. And the fact a lot of people play the leasing and club game now than when I hunted in high school and before that when the paper companies leased to the state instead of clubs. Old WMA maps would show some counties damn near all green it seemed and all that was public.

Lived in the low country of SC for a bit. You don’t want to move there if hunting takes priority over salt fishing! Some of the more hilly areas in the west part of the state seemed pretty dang nice.

Maybe being from CA you are used to hunting in hot weather but the year was about over by the time I would have any interest in shooting something in the low country. I have zero interest in shooting deer when it’s 80 and humid.

There is a 8-1 all weapons opener for deer in southern half of the state so you have good chance a velvet whitetail. Hunting them in velvet may be a sweaty/bug/snake/gator infested adventure but a couple thermacells, one for back up although I have been to known to run duals in the swamp, and a couple of frozen water bottles to stick in your arm pits while sitting on stand and its managable. Some people think it's crazy to hunt when its 95...I guess

Aug. 15 any weapons, not Aug. 1, and only in Game Zone 3. Don't get caught out there before the 15th. :)

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Live in NC and grew up hunting SC public land in game zone 2 mainly, still do. Hardly run into anyone on public anymore where we hunt since everyone thinks they need to be in a club. Last year I only hunted 4 days down there and could have filled my 2 buck tags if I wanted to but I passed up smaller bucks since I already had a freezer full of elk and knew I’d have at least one Nebraska deer going in the freezer come a November. Could have also filled doe tags if I had bought any. My dad usually kills a buck he’ll mount every year or every other year down there, my grandpa used to do the same but he’s been in a long dry spell (still getting after it at 80 though). That is usually an 8 pt in the 110” range, his last one two years ago was a main frame 10 point with with sticker points and probably in the gross 120” range. Those are good public land bucks down here and occasionally we’ll see bigger or someone in our camp will shoot one bigger.

Pigs are about all over now but the only spot we hunt currently that we run into them is this spot we muzzleloader hunt around Lake Marion. I couldn’t get what looked like a 100-150 lb one last year to stop as it was going through the marsh otherwise I’d have some pork in the freezer now too. I did shoot a big boar down there a few years ago in the 250-300 lb range. All that said, I think the hunting on public is good down there and gets way less pressure than the public spots I hunt in NC outside of the mountains. That’s probably a product of the lower population and only a few “big” cities when comparing the two states. And the fact a lot of people play the leasing and club game now than when I hunted in high school and before that when the paper companies leased to the state instead of clubs. Old WMA maps would show some counties damn near all green it seemed and all that was public.

Sounds like I’m in for a treat if I put work in.
I do all bow/muzzle loader hunting and rarely pull out a rifle for actual season. With that being said I like the longer seasons. So hopefully I can catch the early/late season where it’s not as humid and hot