East Frank church Elk

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a couple seasons guiding in the Frank. Amazing country, you really feel like you are absolutely alone more than anywhere else I have spent time, much more so than the Bob. That being said, I would not go back there to hunt elk. I have interest in going in to hunt deer for myself (even though we didn’t do a whole lot better on big bucks). But I went one whole September in there only seeing one bull- made it tough to stay motivated for the hunters.

A buddy and I hunted the Selway/F. Church area a few years ago. Thought we were the cat's meow getting those tags. Scouted for a week in July (saw a few elk and some sign) and headed over to hunt the entire two week season in SEP. Did a few back country jaunts (3-5 miles in/3-4 days at a time) and hunted various spots from our base camp (via truck and RZR). You couldn't pay me to hunt there again, the worst elk hunt I've been on in many, many years. Pre-wolf introduction herd of 17K down to somewhere around 2K. I'd look elsewhere if I were you sir.

LaGriz

WKR
Had a wonderful experience in the "Middle Fork of the Salmon" on an early (Sep. 1997) rifle hunt. We horse packed several hours in from the trail head in Challis. Killed a 6X5 bull late on the 1st afternoon. Best eating elk ever! Saw my first MT goat and also had a rust colored black bear come in at close range. Food was very good as we connected well with both our guide and the camp cook. The views and vistas were breathtaking as I got comfortable mounted on my fine rental horse #9. A most memorable hunt that would have been almost impossible with out the horses and pack animals. In spite of much effort, my brother never got a shot. I understand the elk heard was devastated by wolves soon after. I only hope the elk numbers are recovering at this point in time.

LaGriz

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Lately it’s been a lot of “spent 7 days in the Frank and didn’t see a elk” and just a little “we shot two 6 point bulls within sight of the runway/trailhead”
They should call it “Idaho Roulette”!!

Huntnnw

WKR
One thing is Id never base my elk hunt of the input of a forum. Theres a reason the 10% kill 90% of the elk. If I put up the units I hunt and asked for advice Id be laughed at and told theres no elk, good luck! wolves ate them all. There would be multiple posts of "I spent 7 days there and saw nothing" If you are confident in your choice in unit and feel capable of killing a elk in said unit go for it.

Spent a week in there South of the Crags last year. Didn't see another person. With that being said, didn't see an animal with hooves on it either. Very little sign of anything. Some deer tracks and 2 sets of old elk tracks. That was it. Amazing place to check out if you're looking for mostly adventure... and a chance to stumble on to some game. Always wanted to hunt in the frank, probably wont go back. Crags are visible in the distance in this picture. IMG_0071.jpg

Haneydew

FNG
Reading these post sounds exactly like my experience in 2018. Spent 3 days in the Bitterroot wilderness and 2 in the Frank. Hiked over 33 miles in those 5 days and saw 2 whitetail doe, and zero other hunters. There are elk there.. saw some sign. Beautiful but extremely steep country. But if you are dead set on going there, I can pm you a few places to access the northeastern part.