East kootenays Goat Hunt

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I leave next friday, holy shiet im pumped. Drew an leh in an area with great odds (aka tons of goats but brutal country). IF i have reception i will make it semi live. If not i hope to have a great story when i return

Lorne

OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished up loading the truck. leaving in 5 hours. Going to lay down and probably not sleep! Thanks guys! I am hoping to have cell reception and make a live hunt but im not overly optimitistic(about the cell coverage). I do take lots of pics though so i promise a great story either live or after. If you want an idea where we are we are about 30 miles ish east of white swan lake near the quinn range if you wanna take a look on google earth.

Lorne

Last edited:

Lawlu

FNG
My dream hunt...doing it next year too. Let us know how rough the country is.
Best of luck.

OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Well folks we made it back after a 16 hour drive and ferry ride yesterday.

No goats were harmed, but we didnt die, so that was a win. Had a big storm blow in sand the rocks were covered in snow and ice making it too sketchy to make the final approach to get into shooting range.

Pics and story to follow. Epic trip none the less.

Last edited:
OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Since the area we got a draw for was a 16 hour drive, including a 2 hour ferry, We scouted via google earth. I had some inside tracks from some local elk hunters on where the goats should be. We spent all summer preparing, pouring over maps, talking to friends and locals, and making a plan.

Day 1

We were in unfamiliar territory and setting up camp. Both never being in the area before, and both never hunting goats, we had an idea what to expect but the sheer volume of the slopes and the vastness of the area was a bit over whelming. A nice 9 7/8 inch billy taken the day we arrived in the drainage we had planned to hunt for the last 3 months .... So we had to resort to plan B. Which we didnt have, but we would make due. there had to be more then just this guy in all these mountains. We found goats. Finding accessible ones was the real task. We spent the day mostly on the quad crusing the logging roads scoping out drainages.

Base Camp
IMG_4568_zps848eed4b.jpg

Shot from the camp
IMG_4564_zps9890cb47.jpg

Drainage we planned to hunt
IMG_4571_zps48392637.jpg

There is goats here in the bottom right in the snow, tough to see in the pic. anyway I have no clue how they even got there. what do they eat? rocks? lol

IMG_4572_zps3d34f06b.jpg

Saw about 5 of these critters eveyday. Unfortunetly this zone hasa spike fork restriction, which basically means you need to shoot a unicorn
IMG_4610_zpsf661d424.jpg

OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Day 2 We spotted a small group of goats, A nanny and a kid, another nanny. a good billy and a young billy. We decided tomorrow morning we were going to giver up the hill and kill the Billy

He's the one on the right
IMG_4626_zpsf301fc1f.jpg

IMG_4625_zpse9d626dd.jpg

OP
L

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Day 3

Over night a HUGE and EPIC storm pushed through. Blowing and torrential downpours at camp. We could barelyget out of the tent let alone go afte the goats. You can imagine what the mountains looked like after.... THis would drastically change our hunt and diminish our chances. Totally wicked weather.

Heading out for a dinner will finish the rest later or tomorrow. Thanks for reading!