East tennessee diy

Drenalin

WKR
My sister lives in east Tennessee and I am trying to figure out a good bear and/or deer hunt. I grew up in Missouri, so I know what thick green country can look like. I killed my share of squirrels and rabbits, but never hunted when I was there. I have hunted here in AZ, Utah, and Colorado, I have never hunted back east.

If you are willing to share, or if anyone else is, it would be appreciated. If you wanted to come out west or get some information about AZ hunts, I will give you all the help I can.
What part of ETN?

I have begun scouting in the south cherokee NF of east tennessee and was wondering if anyone on these forums have hunted black bear up there? Or any other game for that matter? Finding a location/section where a potential for bear and hog as well as a little trout fishing would be ideal if anyone would like to share some experiences I'd thoroughly appreciate it.
Bringing this back to life. OP did you ever end up going?

Every year since, taken a couple pigs out of there.
Sounds like fun. Did you kill the pigs while hunting bears? Seen any bears? I’m in Southern Central TN and thinking about trying it this year. It’s not that far of a drive. Sounds like it’s a pretty tough hunt from what I’ve read. If you can hunt bears and see pigs that’d be almost as good.

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
It's a very tough hunt, the country is thick, thorny, steep, and can go from hot and humid to cold and wet pretty quick, and plenty of competition, but like any other hunt it's going to hinge on how much time and effort You are willing to/or can invest in learning a new area time is going to be your biggest investment.

Jbogg

FNG
It's a very tough hunt, the country is thick, thorny, steep, and can go from hot and humid to cold and wet pretty quick, and plenty of competition, but like any other hunt it's going to hinge on how much time and effort You are willing to/or can invest in learning a new area time is going to be your biggest investment.

I Hunt extreme north Georgia, only 10 to 15 miles as the crow flies from the state line. It is definitely not easy hunting. If it’s not steep, it’s thick, and if it’s not thick, it’s far. I’ve always been jealous of the guys out West that can spot bears through glass over a half a mile away, and then plan a stalk. As a general rule, the key to finding bears here in the fall is white oak acorns. In a year with a good mast crop, keep walking until you find the oaks that the bears are feeding in. In early to mid September it’s more like squirrel hunting. They will be in the tops of the oak trees gorging on acorns before the nuts are ripe enough to fall on their own.
9A3B2FC5-4EFE-44D8-B536-55960C8F54D5.png

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I Hunt extreme north Georgia, only 10 to 15 miles as the crow flies from the state line. It is definitely not easy hunting. If it’s not steep, it’s thick, and if it’s not thick, it’s far. I’ve always been jealous of the guys out West that can spot bears through glass over a half a mile away, and then plan a stalk. As a general rule, the key to finding bears here in the fall is white oak acorns. In a year with a good mast crop, keep walking until you find the oaks that the bears are feeding in. In early to mid September it’s more like squirrel hunting. They will be in the tops of the oak trees gorging on acorns before the nuts are ripe enough to fall on their own.
View attachment 553834
That's a handsome little booger

@Artanis95 i know im late to the party here, but i also have hunted south cherokee and taken a couple pigs myself. id love to hear your experience/details(short of the exact location) as im always looking to improve out there!

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
@Artanis95 i know im late to the party here, but i also have hunted south cherokee and taken a couple pigs myself. id love to hear your experience/details(short of the exact location) as im always looking to improve out there!
It's been a rabbit hole of an adventure for sure it's gone from ridge walking to hound dogs to coon hounds for closer to home and now I have a bird dog I've been shooting over the last month... It's awful from spring squirrel to the end of coon season I just don't get a break 😂😂😂.

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got any idea's about quail or tennessee grouse hunting?

mgmicky

FNG
I hunt in zone 1 N Cherokee. Stalked within longbow range of a small bear eating acorns last month, but gave him a pass because he still had some growing to do. I have not seen anything since they started running dogs…

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in zone 1 N Cherokee. Stalked within longbow range of a small bear eating acorns last month, but gave him a pass because he still had some growing to do. I have not seen anything since they started running dogs…
I haven't made it up yet need to check the harvest reports I don't have the warm and fuzzies that this is going to be a "good" year overall.