East Troublesome fire

Holy crap, looking at video and pics of the new fire at grand lake. Absolutely insane fire behavior if it was in August...and it is happening in late October. Looks like Estes park is right in the path of this fire. Just thinking of all of you out there in Colorado right now. 2020 just keeps continuing to suck.

It would have to burn over the alpine in RMNP to reach Estes Park. The Cameron Peak fire was more of a threat there.

I heard on the radio that the east troublesome spread at a rate of 6000 acres per hour. That's incredible. It was less than 20k acres yesterday, now it's over 125k.

OP
Huntindog45
Unfortunately those areas need to burn. Because of lack of fires with no logging and thinning the forest were overgrown. Beetles came in to try and do what fires should have been doing. Only a matter of time. One of our engines is up on that fire.
yah it has been awhile since i was there and I certainly remember a lot of beetle kill. Without weather this one is going to burn for awhile and take out a bunch more forest.

WTFJohn

WKR
East Troublsome grew 100,000+ acres yesterday, absolutely unreal. The first link is the Inciweb page for the fire, the most up-to-date info will be here. The second link is the Colorado Hunt Atlas, which pulls the mapping data from Inciweb and overlays it with all the other layers like GMUs and species data. The East Troublesome fire has gutted the heart of GMU 18, the cold weather and snow can't get here soon enough.

OP
Huntindog45
It would have to burn over the alpine in RMNP to reach Estes Park. The Cameron Peak fire was more of a threat there.

I heard on the radio that the east troublesome spread at a rate of 6000 acres per hour. That's incredible. It was less than 20k acres yesterday, now it's over 125k.
yah i forgot about that...i was just looking at a map without topo or aerial photos. but yah this thing is nasty.

OP
Huntindog45
East Troublsome grew 100,000+ acres yesterday, absolutely unreal. The first link is the Inciweb page for the fire, the most up-to-date info will be here. The second link is the Colorado Hunt Atlas, which pulls the mapping data from Inciweb and overlays it with all the other layers like GMUs and species data. The East Troublesome fire has gutted the heart of GMU 18, the cold weather and snow can't get here soon enough.

here is another good link i like this one for following all the fires we have here in california, pretty close to real time

Hopefully it snows 6 feet this weekend and doesn't melt! Not enough fire folks to work all of these fires! Lots of folks I know and work with are burned out from another long fire season. On the home stretch of my current assignment down here but will gladly come back down to help out you folks in Colorado. Have seen way too many houses destroyed this past week!

OP
Huntindog45
Hopefully it snows 6 feet this weekend and doesn't melt! Not enough fire folks to work all of these fires! Lots of folks I know and work with are burned out from another long fire season. On the home stretch of my current assignment down here but will gladly come back down to help out you folks in Colorado. Have seen way too many houses destroyed this past week!
yah, i have friends who hardly saw their family this summer. it has been long and crazy. and still is not over.

cnelk

WKR
Larimer County Sheriff just posted that the E Troublesome Fire has spotted east of the continental divide - because of that there will be voluntary evacuations for west of Estes Park - in the Spur 66 Highway area.

Its gonna be bad before it gets good.

OP
Huntindog45
Larimer County Sheriff just posted that the E Troublesome Fire has spotted east of the continental divide - because of that there will be voluntary evacuations for west of Estes Park - in the Spur 66 Highway area.

Its gonna be bad before it gets good.
yah i heard the same thing so much for our earlier thought that it could not cross the high alpine areas.

Unfortunately those areas need to burn. Because of lack of fires with no logging and thinning the forest were overgrown. Beetles came in to try and do what fires should have been doing. Only a matter of time. One of our engines is up on that fire.
Yea fires are good for the ecology and is needed in most places....cant same the same for structure engines tho😉

OP
Huntindog45
I pulled up an online scanner and am listening to the rangers evacuate all of the RMNP. some chatter about seeing fire within the park east of the divide.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The fact that it crosses the continental divide is scary. If the wind keeps pushing it toward the town of estes it could be really bad.

TexasCub

WKR
There aren’t enough firefighters in the country to stop what’s going on in the E Troublesome right now. This is Mother Nature at her finest. Major weather event going on for 24 hours and it’s not gonna stop til the wind quits and it starts snowing. This is a worst case scenario right now.