Eastern Guys and Floorless Shelter

Wojo14

WKR
Who out there from the east and hunts backcountry uses a floorless?
I plan to give it a whirl this year in WV and PA.
I have my fist scouting/turkey trip planned in WV at the beginning of May.
~Wojo

freshta

WKR
NC here.
10x12 sil-nylon tarp pitched as a flying wedge to a tree and a bug net.
Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT.
Golite Shangri-la 5 without inner.

mtcarter

FNG
Recently, I mostly just put my pad and bag on the ground. I have a tarp that I put up if it looks like rain. I take a tent if I know the mosquitoes will be bad. I'm sure a bug bivy would be the ticket, but I don't have the experience to say.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I just ordered a Cimmeron.
Bugs are what concerns me most with floorless. I like the concept of floorless. I guess I will get the nest if i need to.
I think in the fall, the floorless with a heater if needed is the ticket, but maybe just a small dome tent is the ticket fir summer.
~Wojo

mrgreen

WKR
I'm an Eastern Guy. I've been using floorless for years, most recently the Tut, camped that way in NY, NJ, Ct, and Pa. No problem with rain or bugs. I've noticed that bugs tend to gather at the peak of the shelter, and don't really seem interested in me. I did have Bearpaw Designs make an awesome half nest for the Tut, so if that's a concern you could do that.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Steve

freshta

WKR
If you sleep floorless enough, you will eventually have company of some sort. I've had a snake, a field mouse, and about 100 million cicadas in my shelter in the past. Maybe even 200 billion cicadas if you count the ones on the outside of the tarp! LOL

freshta

WKR
Bit of an exaggeration, but I happened to be at the Birkhead Mountain Wilderness during one of the 17 year cicada hatches. I thought my dog was going to tear the shelter down trying to kill all of them. Pretty sucky weekend for sure.

mrgreen

WKR
If you sleep floorless enough, you will eventually have company of some sort. ...

Good point, on a pack-in flyfishing trip in the Adirondacks I had a couple of frogs crawl into my tent and under my sleeping pad to get away from the steady rain we (the frogs and I) enjoyed for 3 days and nights. Trout fishing was good though. Just had to be mindful of lightning.

woods89

WKR
MO here. Been using a Kelty Noahs Tarp and a diy bug bivy. Upgraded to a Mountainsmith Mountainshelter lt and a Borah bug bivy this spring. Havent had a chance to use them yet.

Its worked great so far......

colersu22

WKR
I just ordered a Cimmeron.
Bugs are what concerns me most with floorless. I like the concept of floorless. I guess I will get the nest if i need to.
I think in the fall, the floorless with a heater if needed is the ticket, but maybe just a small dome tent is the ticket fir summer.
~Wojo

Are you selling the mountainsmith LT? There was a WTB ad yesterday for one with a stove jack if you are. I just got the cimarron last week and it is just what I need for 2 and a stove.

I'm planning on using my mountainsmith mountain shelter LT this year for my turkey hunt in NC and later in Pa. We will see how it goes.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Are you selling the mountainsmith LT? There was a WTB ad yesterday for one with a stove jack if you are. I just got the cimarron last week and it is just what I need for 2 and a stove.

Ya, I set it up. It was nice, however, too small for 2 guys.
I sold it to him and ordered the Cim. Lol
~Wojo