Eastern Mountains Big Buck Tactics

163bc

FNG
Good stuff here. I’ve hunted the blue ridge mountains for over 50 years. Benches, saddles, rub lines, food in that order of importance is what I have found works. Find them all in same area and it’s just a matter of putting in the time & perseverance.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Most track them with snow as they’re nomadic like plains deer in a habitat that’s a monoculture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aham

FNG
I usually like to hunt certain terrain features like pinch points and low gaps especially in late october when bucks really start to look for does.

bukfevr

FNG
Saddles and benches always seem to funnel movement in my area. Of course during the rut, all bets are off and hunt the does where they spend their time. Having said that, biggest buck I’ve ever taken in the mountains, I’d probably spent upwards of 60 days from bow season in October through early muzzleloader season, gun season, and then 10 days into late muzzleloader season and never laid eyes on him. Got him in late December, first time I ever saw him while still hunting a saddle area.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Every single post in this thread is solid!!!!

I will also add, any type of "edge" you can find from one type of cover to another is worth hunting as well, either the edge of a clearcut, edge of a laurel thicket, pines, etc. anywhere in the woods that changes from one feature to the next etc.

Top 3rd of the ridge for me. I like to try and find a very skinny ridge because it will funnel them much tighter than a larger ridge. Saddles and and ridge top where a bunch of hollows come together. This is my technique during the rut. Gun it’s a different animal and late muzzleloader, I always find myself around large greenbrier patches. Best of luck. As with any hunting the deeper the better

Anobody

WKR
Keep word in this thread is monoculture. Finding the cover of even small like a blow down or the thick creek bottom could be the key. I always liked mountain hunting wind thermals and terrain are always against u. Makes for fun