Eastern Oregon elk guide recommendations

Flapjack

FNG
My buddy and I started hunting about 10 years ago now. I had some beginners luck, but have come up dry every year since, many times not even seeing an elk after a week of hiking all over hells half acre. Obviously we are doing it wrong.

We’ve thought about hiring a guide to take us out and show us how dumb we’ve been all these years and hopefully turn on the light bulb for us, hopefully gaining better success on our own in the future.

Most of the guide services I’ve found are a “full service” outfit, which really doesn’t interest me. I don’t want a guide to take me into his honey hole and place a trophy in my lap. I want to learn how to find my own honey hole. How to find the elk and get close enough to get or blow a shot opportunity. I’m not looking for a trophy (I’d shoot a spike first chance)

Looking for recommendations of a guide/guy that someone knows that can consistently kill elk and would be willing to take 2 cool guys out to an eastern Oregon unit (preferably OTC archery or an easy draw rifle hunt) and show us the ropes. We have all our own gear, are in shape, and would do our own field processing and pack out should we find success.

That was a long winded way of me to ask if anyone has a name of a non “full service”“guide” that doesn’t mind getting asked a ton of questions by his clients, and is willing to take on clients that will slay a spike elk at first opportunity.

Sunbkpk

FNG
My buddy and I started hunting about 10 years ago now. I had some beginners luck, but have come up dry every year since, many times not even seeing an elk after a week of hiking all over hells half acre. Obviously we are doing it wrong.

We’ve thought about hiring a guide to take us out and show us how dumb we’ve been all these years and hopefully turn on the light bulb for us, hopefully gaining better success on our own in the future.

Most of the guide services I’ve found are a “full service” outfit, which really doesn’t interest me. I don’t want a guide to take me into his honey hole and place a trophy in my lap. I want to learn how to find my own honey hole. How to find the elk and get close enough to get or blow a shot opportunity. I’m not looking for a trophy (I’d shoot a spike first chance)

Looking for recommendations of a guide/guy that someone knows that can consistently kill elk and would be willing to take 2 cool guys out to an eastern Oregon unit (preferably OTC archery or an easy draw rifle hunt) and show us the ropes. We have all our own gear, are in shape, and would do our own field processing and pack out should we find success.

That was a long winded way of me to ask if anyone has a name of a non “full service”“guide” that doesn’t mind getting asked a ton of questions by his clients, and is willing to take on clients that will slay a spike elk at first opportunity.

It sounds like an elk hunting mentor is more what you are looking for. I may be scouting Eastern Oregon or other state for archery elk this summer and fall but likely solo.

Sounds like you a mentor for elk hunting more than a guide.

Sounds like you are looking for an elk hunting mentor as much as a guide. Success for me seems to be be a combination of learning elk, scouting, fitness and additude. I will have to see how I can transfer my success here in central Washington to other areas as it has gone to spike only here. Eastern Oregon is appealing due to similarities to central Washington and not to far to drive. Feel free to reach out to me come summer. If I don't draw a bull tag for here as is likely, I will probably be scouting Eastern Oregon this summer and fall for Next year.
Good luck.

pirogue

WKR
Agree with mentor need more than guide need. As Oregon is about as Non-Resident unfriendly as a state there is( for the good branch antlered hunts), you probably want get much for guide recommendations.

OP
F

Flapjack

FNG
Yeah I guess your right about needing a “mentor” rather than a guide. I’ve watched every hunting show made, done the elk 101 course, but still can’t seem to put it all together when it counts.

Sunbkpk

FNG
Archery success for much of Eastern Oregon is 10% or less. So you are on PAR with the average hunter. Were you in lots of elk the first year or 2 compared with now? Most of my easily accessed areas changed over the years and had to hunt them differently. Often due to hunter pressure changing, but feed and cover also seemed to have effects. Domestic animal grazing, especially sheep has an impact in my areas as well. Hard to access spots changed much less but were not affected by the factors in the easy to reach area.

I changed my approach to much more scouting and tougher areas to access and went from PAR to success most years for me or my hunting partner. I think it helped my attitude as well as I went from thinking maybe I will get a chance to when I get a chance. Keeps my head in the game and ready when the chance arrives there are less blown opportunities.

OP
F

Flapjack

FNG
I’d say the biggest issue I face is just finding elk. I’d rather be into elk and blow it then come home without seeing anything.

For instance: I’ve learned that elk “typically” like to bed on benches. When I’m on the ground in the blue mountains I’m literally surrounded by hundreds of benches, and that’s just within 1 square mile. So how do I know which benches to focus on? Or finding a water source. Done that. Most of the water sources I come across are all cattle fouled (lots of ranchers free range their cattle on national forest land here) So I figure just hike til your feet fall off. Try to go where other hunters won’t be willing to go. Eventually you’ve got to find them right? Nope. Not me. Calling has come up empty for me as well. I don’t know if they’re call shy, pre-rut (planned my trip too early), or just not anywhere near me.

Any success I’ve had has been pure luck, so I can’t really take any lessons learned out of it.

I don’t want it to sound like I’m frustrated because I’m honestly not. Elk hunting is my passion and I will keep doing it every year until I’m dead or senile, even if I only find success once a decade. But I KNOW there’s guys out there that at least get into elk every year. And some of those guys probably punch a tag every year too. So there’s so much still for me to learn and unfortunately I’ve had to try to figure it out for myself.

Unfortunately my hunting buddy is in the same boat as me. At this point we are willing to pay for a guided trip if that’s what it takes to gain some on the ground knowledge.

Sunbkpk

FNG
Cattle may be part of your problem if they are running that many. You may need to look in the steep draws and canyons the cattle won't go into. If your unit doesn't have a high elk density, they may be in small regions of steep thick stuff and only come out to feed at nights or only into small grassy areas. Maybe use that to your advantage to scout in August for where the cattle are not.
I hear you on the passion. My area here in Washington has gone to spike only for archery dropping success rates to probably 1% unless I draw a permit. I can get into elk regularly but spikes are pretty rare. Will definitely have a decision to make if I don't draw. May just use September as a scouting trip out of state with Eastern Oregon as a candidate. Maybe explore the Eagle cap or Hells canyon areas. Getting away from lots of people is the other part for me.
Best of luck to you.

Its probably because I suck at elk hunting, but I find it extremely difficult to hunt eastern Oregon. Especially archery the last couple of years. Tons of hunters, hot weather, and high density of roads. The positive is there is a good amount of elk and elk habitat.

Even if you find an area that is wilderness or a section of roadless area, you will find thats where people now concentrate.

This year I'm taking a different approach and looking at my home state through an out of state hunters eyes. Focus on bull/cow ratios, good habitat, talk to biologists, and not let internet forums sway my decision making.

No matter where you go there will be pressure from.other hunters. They using it to your advantage and think outside the box (cliché of all clichés)

It’s not just because you suck... haha. Archery elk hunting has gotten significantly more challenging the last 5 years for a variety of factors. 1. I believe ODFW has sold a new record number of archery tags every year the past few years. 2. Internet videos have inspired everyone to bugle all day everyday from August opening weekend - September. Animals get call shy/smart really quick. 3. There are more wolves than people realize. I watched a wolf chasing a bugle faster than I could in Sled Springs. This wolf pressure is making elk talk less so they don’t give away their position. 4. With OnX and other mobile maps, we all are more confident in going over the next ridge, finding benches, water holes, etc.

Just my perspective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
Yeah I guess your right about needing a “mentor” rather than a guide. I’ve watched every hunting show made, done the elk 101 course, but still can’t seem to put it all together when it counts.
Just go spend more time in the woods starting this spring. You can watch all the videos you want but need boots on the ground and actual time in the woods. Pick an area and learn it imo. The only thing a guide can add is maybe access to private property. The few guides I know charge over 6k for elk hunts. A few services will pack you in

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
From my understanding 2022 all will most likely be draw for archery on east side unless you are talking this year I know it is still otc.

OP
F

Flapjack

FNG
Speaking of sled springs, It’s historically one of my favorite units. I’ve hunted that unit a TON between elk and deer. The frustrating thing is, I’ve literally covered every square inch of that unit on foot. I’ve seen elk here and there, mostly onsie twosies. I’ve never actually came across a “herd” (I’ve never came across a herd anywhere in oregon). This seems to be the ongoing issue I have hunting Oregon elk (whether archery or rifle seasons). If I am successful, it’s because that one random animal popped out of the tree line at the perfect place/time.

of note, this last season while hunting my whitetail honey hole in sled springs, for the first time in years it was a complete ghost town for ANY wildlife. It was also the first time I’ve seen cattle in that area. Coincidence?

I pretty much stick to sled springs and starkey because I know the units well. But coming up empty handed year after year is making me feel like I need to branch out to other units.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Speaking of sled springs, It’s historically one of my favorite units. I’ve hunted that unit a TON between elk and deer. The frustrating thing is, I’ve literally covered every square inch of that unit on foot. I’ve seen elk here and there, mostly onsie twosies. I’ve never actually came across a “herd” (I’ve never came across a herd anywhere in oregon). This seems to be the ongoing issue I have hunting Oregon elk (whether archery or rifle seasons). If I am successful, it’s because that one random animal popped out of the tree line at the perfect place/time.

of note, this last season while hunting my whitetail honey hole in sled springs, for the first time in years it was a complete ghost town for ANY wildlife. It was also the first time I’ve seen cattle in that area. Coincidence?

I pretty much stick to sled springs and starkey because I know the units well. But coming up empty handed year after year is making me feel like I need to branch out to other units.

That's tough luck. I've hunted Sled about 5 years, I've seen herds everytime. With that said, of the the Bulls I've taken and seen taken, most were in small bachelor groups. Rifle season FYI

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider

Something else to consider as well, if you plan on hunting public land in Eastern Oregon, most outfitters have their own specific areas they can operate in and to my knowledge, they usually don't overlap. So this may force you to hunt with a specific outfitter you like in their area or find the area you like and go after the outfitter who has that zone for their permit.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not just because you suck... haha. Archery elk hunting has gotten significantly more challenging the last 5 years for a variety of factors. 1. I believe ODFW has sold a new record number of archery tags every year the past few years. 2. Internet videos have inspired everyone to bugle all day everyday from August opening weekend - September. Animals get call shy/smart really quick. 3. There are more wolves than people realize. I watched a wolf chasing a bugle faster than I could in Sled Springs. This wolf pressure is making elk talk less so they don’t give away their position. 4. With OnX and other mobile maps, we all are more confident in going over the next ridge, finding benches, water holes, etc.

Just my perspective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Oregon bow I can’t PM you because I just joined. Highly interested in the First Lite 2XL. Hit me up.

I'm in the camp that if I put in enough miles (on my Steps tracker app ofc) and pay attention to my surroundings, that I'll eventually become my own guide.

Did I mention that my camp is composed of 1 person?